HARDY Zane Grey 4 3/16” SOLD

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
john elder
Star Board Poster

HARDY Zane Grey 4 3/16” SOLD

Post by john elder »

Freshly cleaned and lubricated, this rare 4 3/16” Hardy Zane Grey reel runs smoothly and other than mild corrosion on the spool, is in excellent cosmetic condition. Only 25 reels of this size were made, all between 1928-1939. This particular reel was made with a square pillar/frame at the top of the reel, which no doubt added considerable strength relative to standard pillars. The reel has a replicated hard rubber grasp, which would be difficult to tell from original (he said, modestly). Comes in modern nylon case. $5500 plus mailing/insurance. Free local pickup.

NOTE: interesting addition from reel owner, ORCAn Dan Zirilli:

Dear Sir
> This letter is to confirm that the Hardy Bros Zane Grey 4 3/16" Big Game Fishing Reel bought from myself was the actual reel used & filmed in the Movie Film "Genius" starring actors Jude Law & Colin Firth to name but a few.
> Yours Sincerely
> Mr M. C. Terry
> (Antique & Vintage Fishing Tackle).
> Tel. UK 07913 630459.
> M c Terry

(Apparently, they changed the grasp to a bullet-shaped one for the movie… must have been more convenient for the scene. That’s what prompted the grasp replacement.)

Reel is SOLD
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Re: HARDY Zane Grey 4 3/16” Big Game Reel F/S

Post by reeltackle »

Great reel John and a very reasonable price too. I have seen a 3 1/2 inch Hardy “Zane Grey” withe the same square pillar configuration.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.