Patent Bass Orvis ...

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Patent Bass Orvis ...

Post by reelsmith. »

The owner of this reel must have been darn proud of it as he put a lot of effort into replacing the crank on his Orvis.

This is not a modified crank from another reel, it is scratch made. Note the crank is threaded and the locking nut is countersunk so the spool shaft does not protrude, and is not recessed. Nice attention to detail.

So well done, I don't think I'll try to find an original to replace it.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Patent Bass Orvis ...

Post by Mike N »

It is pretty close, Dean. I love the screw/tool slot on the threaded washer and the counter-sink.

Here are the catalog description (No.2) and a photo of a balanced handle.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

If a fisherman looses a handle or other part of his reel, he's going to do something because he wants to go fishing. Also if he didn't like the vibration of an unbalanced handle, he's going to do something because he wants to go fishing. This is good example of American ingenuity.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Very nice job!

J
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I'm wondering if he didn't like the long handle and just made a shorter, more stout, one.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

Handle is awesome and made by someone with some serious skill. I wouldn't change a thing unless an NOS handle miraculously appeared in a box lot.

Low Profile