Mystery baitcaster ID

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
davidsieracki
Big ORCA Fan

Mystery baitcaster ID

Post by davidsieracki »

Can't find any writing on this reel aside from the 60 on the foot. I'd like to list it for sale, but it won't find its way to the right person if I can't ID the manufacturer. I know if anyone can ID it, this group can. Thanks in advance!

wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Mystery baitcaster ID

Post by wrong99 »

Made by Montague.
davidsieracki
Big ORCA Fan

Post by davidsieracki »

Thanks! A google image search confirms Montague, based on the handle shape alone. I guess this was a trade reel that just never got a name. Poor thing. Can I call mine a rare "three screw" model to gin up the value? :lol:
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

Not a Montague. Rivet pattern on the tailplate is consistent with Hendryx. This is a Hendryx trade reel. Probably around 1910 vintage.
davidsieracki
Big ORCA Fan

Post by davidsieracki »

Ok, mystery re-opened :)

A google image search for Hendryx reel shows a number of them that have that same handle shape, so that lends credence to the idea that it might be a Hendryx, but I can't find any images of Montague OR Hendryx reels that had 3 screws holding the handle side plate on, except the raised pillar type. They all seem to either be two screws, or four. My cursory google image searches are far from definitive of course. I did stumble across some Winchester reels that have the same general layout as this one, but nothing identical.
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

David,
I have marked Hendryx reels with the same handle, spring rivets, end caps, and foot. I currently don't have any in stock with all of these features on a single reel, but I'm sure I have in the past (i.e., the same model you have). Here is a little bit earlier Hendryx with the same faceplate screw pattern. This reel has a riveted, patented and "Hendryx" stamped foot. Your reel is a Hendryx trade reel. It is towards the end of the company's reel endeavors (i.e., when they sold to Hendryx), but not at the very end (based on reel features). Hendryx got into making a fair number of reels without their company name stamping (likely being sold for the trade) sometime after 1900. I'm not sure if they did this because they saw the success of Montague and Pflueger, because they were responding to declining sales of their standard reels, or both. Winchester, when they acquired Hendryx, continued this practice of producing a huge number of trade reels.

Cheers,
David
davidsieracki
Big ORCA Fan

Post by davidsieracki »

Ok great, thanks David. I'm going to take your word as authoritative on this one then. (Sorry Wrong99:)

I'm going to list it on eBay as "Hendryx Trade Reel circa ~1910", hopefully that will get the right set(s) of eyes so it goes to a good home.

- Dave
davidsieracki
Big ORCA Fan

Post by davidsieracki »

Oh by the way, what are the two extra buttons on the tailplate supposed to do? I can engage them, but they seem to behave like casting brakes, rather than clickers or anti-reverse dogs.
40fordflathead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 40fordflathead »

Upper button is for the clicker, bottom is for the drag.
Bruce Harlan
davidsieracki
Big ORCA Fan

Post by davidsieracki »

Interesting. The drag's pretty draggy but the clicker ain't a-clickin. I'm not going to risk disassembly to find out why.
40fordflathead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 40fordflathead »

Just three screws will tell you what’s wrong.
Bruce Harlan
davidsieracki
Big ORCA Fan

Post by davidsieracki »

I'm about 200 reels into selling off my "collection" of 750 (yes, I was basically just a reel hoarder, but I'm in a better place now). Based upon completed sales of similar vintage Hendryx reels on eBay, it looks like this reel might optimistically bring 10 or 15 bucks, which is basically lunch at Burger King. And I fear that the clicker spring is broken, which means that I either just put it back together broken, or start hunting down 100 year old Hendryx trade reel clicker springs, or put it in a ziplock bag and sell it as parts. Then there's the chance of a stripped screw head, or a tiny spring going SPROOING into a dark corner of my basement that I haven't visited in decades. Ain't nobody got time for all that :lol: But if anyone else does, it'll be listed on eBay Friday night, just search for "Hendryx Trade Reel" and it can be all yours! Message me with the word "ORCA" and I'll cut ya a deal!