Perez #1

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
seruga
Frequent Board Poster

Perez #1

Post by seruga »

I have included photos of two reels. A Perez #1 and a Perez Silber #1 (the silber is the clean version, I have not yet cleaned the Perez) Both reels are nearly identical with some slight differences. The main difference appears to be that the silber has a larger pinion gear and a smaller main gear. The silber main gear is also spiral cut. Another difference is that the free spool slot is cut a bit differently on each reel. The other differences are very minor in nature.

I am seeking three bits of information:

1) How is the left side plate attached on the Perez #1 reel. I suspect it is similar to the right side plate but I am not sure how to unscrew the plate after the bushing is removed

2) I ask question number 1 because the pillars on the frame of the silber model have come loose and I need to find someone to braise them back into place.

3) do you recommend anyone that can braise the frame

as always, your assistance is very much appreciated.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: Perez #1

Post by RonG »

I would recommend to not brace the pillar. Is it and interference fit, press peened end or screwed into the frame?
seruga
Frequent Board Poster

Post by seruga »

my guess is that it is interferece fit. This would suggest heating or cooling which leads me to believe the left side plate would need to be removed in order to make the repair. The first photo shows the separated pillar. The second photos shows the pillars as they were intended to be.

seruga
Frequent Board Poster

Post by seruga »

one other comment - that might matter - the frame is made from monel steel
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

The pillars have shoulders so you should be able to press the them back in the holes. How you do this is the hard part.
seruga
Frequent Board Poster

Post by seruga »

Thank you Ron for the suggestion. The only way I know how to do this is to make a jig and use a hydrolic press. How many tons of pressure do you think I would need to apply to re-seat the shoulders without altering the frame.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Sorry, no help here with that question.
KeysReels
Frequent Board Poster

Post by KeysReels »

I have quite a few Perez reels...a couple of his very early reels with E.Holzman qualities , one Silbur reel and a reel that was personally owned by Frank. Your earlier reel is nice and a nice addition for your collection. It looks like the Silbur reel has had modifications on the foot...soldering and drilled holes. Being as Silbur made reels are somewhat common ( compared to his earlier reels) it might be easier to look for a reel with damaged side plates in order to get a replacement frame then trying to repair your damaged frame.

I have included a photo showing Frank's Perez's personal reel..one that he won for a striped bass tournament.
Also photos of his elusive trolling reel as many collectors are not aware that he made a trolling reel as well.

Good luck with your Perez reels.
Bill Graves
Keysreels

seruga
Frequent Board Poster

Post by seruga »

Ron, Frank,
thank you for the input. Both pieces of advice are appreciated and I like the fact that there are options - great food for thought.
Regardless of the path I decide to take I think I would still like to remove the left side plate from the frame. If you know of anyone that has done this please let me know.
I will post the final when it is complete.

Chris
Matthooper
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Matthooper »

Hi there. New user so please bear with me. I recently acquired a Perez no1 made by Silber. I too was wondering the same with the side plate and the found your post and subsequent reply’s. I always like doing a complete break down for cleaning in case there is corrosion hidden and I considered your idea of a jig and press but then decided to give the reel a closer look. I notice what looked like very faint circles on the rim (found 3 of about a mil in width) equally spaced apart. My personal opinion is these are pins that were pressed in place after the side plate was installed then ground down and buffed to make it appear as on piece. I could very well be wrong but it convinced me not to attempt removing.