Wish me luck!

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Wish me luck!

Post by john elder »

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

So, such a sloppy slather served some substantial settled sections of surface ! I always make more work for myself than is necessary.
Oh yes, the JBW is a pretty slow cureing resin. So much for that theory. Got the color pretty good this time. Lots of lampblack. I was concerned that so much would mess with the cure but not the case!

klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

For those folks like myself, ie.semi-impatient people, and to continue doc'ing the resto, here's the tail plate w/ hardware attached. Wet sanded to a 2500 grit then polished w/ Simcrome. Looks ok but small scratches are still evident.
Gonna leave as is untill the head plate is finished, then decide if to sand further. I've up to 5000.
A lot of work for a here to unidentifive reel.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Looking good! First and goal at the two.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Agreed! Looks fantastic and I appreciate the effort to do it right
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

Thanks.
Here's the head plate sanded down to a 2k grit. The repair is way light and way pitted. Decided not fill the holes again.
Going to go down to a 2500 grit then apply some Potion #9 and polish with hopes, then inscribe the line.
I need to start to weight epoxy parts and be consistant with added colorant if any, lightly warm and slowly mix, thin w/ acetone, pore and continue to lightly heat to kill the bubbles.

klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

The new and improved line inscriber and the new line inscribed.

klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

So try as I might, I was unable to darken the repair on the face of the head plate. The #9 didn't do the job. I even tried the old sharpie fix but no luck. The back of the plate repair(second mix) looks good as to the color. Ignore all the holes!
The real problem is that, color aside, the jbweld won't polish like the HR. Too soft I would think. Time to rethink material and find something that will match the HR.
Not my best work but a learning experience for sure. Some disappointments ensued and I even managed to loose a screw in the process! Back to the drawing board.
Anyways, thanks for following along and for the encouraging words.
Next?? Coin edges!!
Cheers

Last edited by klonder on Fri May 26, 2023 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

We’re always our own harshest critics and I know you can see the flaws but I’ll bet it looks really good in person without a magnifying glass! Really excellent work and I certainly appreciate the effort. I feel like spending the time on these unknown or lower value reels is good experience for when you want to fix a rare one!
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

What a great job. I would be ecstatic over how it turned out. The imperfection shows the history, congrats.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

Thanks gents.
I was hoping to get a positive ID but lacking such, I'm going to settle on the 1890 CHUBB cat. pg.44, reel #17 offered in brass. Same single line incised plates, posts and foot, but again, different handle and a slight variation in the spool arbor-flange connection. Did anyone other than JVH mark the reel size, other than yardage, on the foot?
Would I have a better chance of an ID if I moved this to the Reel Talk general forum?
Questions, questions!! Sorry.