How to remove line stickers from latch covers

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
forge
Big ORCA Fan

How to remove line stickers from latch covers

Post by forge »

I have 2 Orvis Madison spools (made by Pflueger) that have line identification stickers on the plastic latch cover. I want to remove them without hurting the plastic latch cover and the white engraved letter. (just do not like the looks of stickers on my reel collection) The only thing I can think of is to use HOT tap water and then try and get them off with my finger nail - and next use GOO GONE to remove the adhesive. Does anyone know if this will work without hurting the plastic & white lettering, or have a better idea?
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: How to remove line stickers from latch covers

Post by kyreels »

I have used Goo Gone on many plastics and reels, and have never seen any issue. I would be careful not to get it near any printing or ink, as that could dissolve or fade. I think you are on the right track.

An alternative for adhesive removal if it is near printed lettering is to freeze the object (in freezer wrapped in plastic) and then remove the adhesive with a plastic scrapper. The hardened adhesive will typically yield with spreading.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

You can also use mineral spirits to get rid of the glue after you've the paper portion with a water soak. Be careful, as with Goo Gone, around printing or painted lettering.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

WD-40