Kosmic/J.B. Crook & Co. N.Y.

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Ray Hencken
Advanced Board Poster

Kosmic/J.B. Crook & Co. N.Y.

Post by Ray Hencken »

Here is a casting reel stamped THE KOSMIC REEL , J.B. CROOK & Co. N.Y. It is 3 "measured from pillar to pillar, 1 3/8" wide spool. There is no number stamped on the bottom of the reel foot. I believe that it is a 936 without the number. Has anyone seen any other The Kosmic Reel with the J.B. Crook stamp?

Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: Kosmic/J.B. Crook & Co. N.Y.

Post by Steve »

By the time the Kosmic brand appeared, Crook himself was gone, and J.B.C.&Co. was a typical sporting-goods retailer. They probably hadn't made any reels for a long time.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Ray Hencken
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Ray Hencken »

I believe that, like A.G. Spalding Bros., J.B Crook & Co. did not make the reels stamped with their name. Rather makers such as Julius vom Hofe, U.S. Net & Twine, and Montague supplied reels to Spalding and Crook & Co. for retail sales as well as Abbey & Imbrie, Wm. Mills, Dame Stoddard & Kendall, etc.
My question was has anyone seen a Kosmic Reel with the stamping of J.B. Crook & Co., the retailer.
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Interesting reel. I haven't seen that marking before.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

J.B Crook & Co. did not make the reels stamped with their name.
The shop changed names several times before Crook died. The "& Co." was added as early as 1840 and was dropped or re-added as partners came and went. The shop made reels into the 1870s. But I haven't seen that combination of markings either.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Ray,

Is that a "lefty" or has the face plate rotated in the frame?

Jim
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

The plate screws appear misaligned as well which would mean the underlying plate was miss-drilled?
Or are the screws securing the drive gear saddle?
Ray Hencken
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Ray Hencken »

Good eye Jim. I compared the location of the two screws in the face plate of my reel with the location of the screws in Ron Gast's reel on his website. The screws on my reel are located at about 4:30 and 8:30 with the stamping at about 2:30. Ron's reel has the screws at 3:00 and about 7:30 and the stamp is at 12:00. Therefore, one could conclude that at some point the face plate rotated in the frame. However, the hard rubber face plate is tight in the nickle silver frame. It's a RHW reel.
Also, my reel has a one piece foot and Ron's reel has the foot attached to the two foot pillars.