Three-D Printing as a tool

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Three-D Printing as a tool

Post by john elder »

Had a nice email from long-lost former ORCAn Rick Heitman last night. He reported success in reproducing an oft-lost/broken rod part by using 3-D printing:

“ Don't know who might be interested, but if ORCA has anyone that (needs a thumb rest) for their Nelson Pistol Grip rod, they just gotta email me:”

Rick rushed to say that the part is marked as a reproduction. It seems there might be a lot of small parts that could be generated, like those Pflueger and Ocean City reel grasps that have a tendency to degrade or get smashed. I believe Brian might have something to add regarding that.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Jason
Super Board Poster

Re: Three-D Printing as a tool

Post by Jason »

I agree that the 3d printer is a great tool. Some of the new plastics they have are quite durable and may hold up as well or better than the plastics used in the past. Here are a couple reels and a reel seat that I've made.

I especially like having the 3d printer for prototyping. For years I wondered how well the mechanism in Charles Noe's transverse motion patent would work. I had doubts that a reel with that many gears would really function. It took a little trial and error but I eventually figured out the special gear that has a split row of teeth that engages different gears at different times. An arrow of blue tape was added to help you see how the second half of the gear train reverses direction and in turn would reverse the small gear on the far right which would be attached to a level wind shaft. I'm now quite sure that this mechanism made with precision gears assembled on rigid shafts would work.

Watch the video here: https://youtu.be/j-BELSXCBjo

If anyone has an idea for a part they'd like to create, let me know and I'd be glad to help model it up and print it.
Last edited by kyreels on Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Wow, that's really cool Jason. Steve Vernon's book "Antique Fishing Reels" gives some info on the Noe reel patent. What a complicated device to work a level-wind.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Too cool. 😎
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Jason - That is really cool. I think an article for the Reel News about the possibilities of3-D printing to replicate plastic reel parts or to fabricate reels like you've done could a very compelling. I suspect some collectors might blow a gasket over the idea but in the right hands with the right approach, 3-D printing of tough parts could be a real boon for someone who wanted to make an old reel functional or appropriate for display.
Richard
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Since John's original post here, I've tried to clean-up the 3D Printer file, to make the final thumb rest much closer in appearance to the originals. I'm also looking for some printer Filament that will allow me to make the aluminum version (color-wise) closer to the "chrome/polished aluminum" version for those who might want that instead of the black version. I know there's not much demand out there, but if you have a missing one or a broken one these would be a presentable replacement.
Rick Heitman
- Bad Casts, backlash, no bites? Check the Nut holding the rod !! -