Shakespeare Favorite 1733 date help- please...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Shakespeare Favorite 1733 date help- please...

Post by JoeW »

I'm finding sketchy info on this Favorite 1733- can't quite put it together! It has no date in an oval on the reel foot, no two-letter code. Does that make it early-1910's? Or post-1970's? Condition just seems to be too nice to be old, but looks too old to be 1970's? Help me out here, please. Best---- JoeW

Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare Favorite 1733 date help- please...

Post by Eric J »

In the 1920’s the Leader was designated as 23033,
and in the 30’s the reels that start with 17 indicate non-level wind models as opposed to the level-winds that start with 19.
I would search the catalogs from the 1930’s in the ORCA database for the answer. That is one of those reels I suspect was made by someone else for Shakespeare.
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare Favorite 1733 date help- please...

Post by JoeW »

Thank you sir! Just what I needed! That clue about the 17.. prefix was the key! Searched the Shakes catalogs- found plenty of 1733's in the 1930's catalogs, not in any that were later. Problem solved! And yea- it does seem that the "Favorite" was a trade reel, branded by Shakes. Thanks for taking the time to help out a lure collector with a "casual" interest and "amateur" knowledge of old reels! Nice people here! Best---- Joe Walkowski (ORCA)
Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)