My recent wood turning projects...

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

My recent wood turning projects...

Post by Paul M »

Some more of my wood turning projects beyond replacement reel grasps. Most recent at the bottom. I learned how to make all of these projects during the pandemic watching interactive remote demonstrations by American artist Cindy Drozda whose work can be found in the Smithsonian.

A trio of lidded chalices made out of malle burl and African blackwood; colored with alcohol inks. Waterlox finish.

The lid of the green lidded chalice reminds me of French fine art.

A variety of ornamental turnings that all feature thin finials.

A lidded box made from a banksia pod

A whimsical wide rimmed bowl, made with gilded natural edge malle burl. Measures about 12.5" across the widest part.
About 3" deep, the little bowl appears to be inserted into the rim but it is all one piece. The bottom is intentionally round without a foot so it sits at an angle resting against the heaviest edge unless propped up. Also colored with alcohol inks and finished with Waterlox.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: My recent wood turning projects...

Post by RonG »

Wow Paul, those are very artistic and beautiful.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Amazing and beautiful craft work, Paul. :bow:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Wow, just incredible!
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by bettybarr »

You are a master. What a display. Your family will treasure these.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Gotta love it, Paul! Nice! Your house must be full of turnings by now! :bow:
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

I just went back and looked at these masterpieces. Can you share with us how you finished them, Paul?

Thanks,

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Thank you for the nice comments. Mike, the final layer of finish on most of these is a product called Waterlox. Some pieces look fine with one coat but I usually add several coats. Colour on the burl pieces is achieved using alcohol ink and a process of adding and removing colour to highlight burl details and to achieve depth.

Here are a few more recent pieces:

Peppermill with Celtic Knot:

I am currently working to improve my thread chasing by hand. A few lidded boxes with threaded lids and a threaded grasp.

Little boxes with threaded lids using fittings repurposed from garden hoses and lamp parts:

A few gift pieces made using apple wood from a family's cherished tree:

Note the croupier stick is for gaming and I made the crook by steam bending a strip of cherry wood.

A hollow form made from a piece of box elder found at the curb in my neighbourhood. The pedestal, collar and finial are black walnut.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

So nice, Paul! And doubly good when it’s found wood!

J
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Paul,

The designs are off the hook. I particularly love the acorns and the croupier stick. You have such a talent. Do you sell these at trade shows?

Mike
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Thanks, again. I have sold a few pens and one of the waterfall ornaments on Etsy. My asking prices are a deterrent and these items only sold due to a large promotional discount. Some people don’t realize the amount of effort required and the risk of a piece failing before completion. Other makers tend charge about 3X material cost at shows but that’s a giveaway IMHO and my wood is mostly high priced stuff from the exotic wood retailers. Mostly it is the time effort. My lack of experience makes me less efficient than the large volume woodturners. I usually can’t turn in winter due to cold temps in my un-insulated garage.

I was commissioned a few years ago by a relative to make a salt and pepper-mill set and some miscellaneous gift pieces like a simple maple bowl, a salt “cellar”, some spinning tops etc., otherwise earlier pieces were given to family members. Like John speculated in an earlier post, I do have a bunch of bowls and ornaments sitting around the house that are destined to be Christmas gifts. I have not yet tried the farmer’s markets or shows.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ya gotta figure its a labor of love, Paul! And its a joy to be able to do new things every time. If you want to try and make a buck, then you have to get into production runs of the more sale-able items, which takes all the fun out of it. Just enjoy the hobby a d come around to show us your latest!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Oh my! That is some fine work. Creative and beautiful.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024