Pflueger Supreme Leather Case

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Stunt Fisher
Frequent Board Poster

Pflueger Supreme Leather Case

Post by Stunt Fisher »

Does anyone here know what year this leather case may have been offered? The top of the case is marked PFLUEGER – SUPREME FISHING REEL No 1573. The tab that goes through the buckle on the front is stamped with the number 6. There is a similar – but not the same – case on page 8 of my copy of Robert Miller’s History of the Pflueger Supreme. The caption says it’s from the 1919 tackle catalog. I don’t think my case is nearly that old. There is also a similar – maybe the same – case on page 55. That picture is of several cases and boxes for various Supreme models over its 66-year history. So, aside from the image, it doesn’t really offer much in the way of information.
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Pflueger Supreme Leather Case

Post by David Lehmann »

Yes, these were offered with the first version of the 1573 Supreme. It is advertised as being provided with the first version Supreme in the 1919 catalog. I've seen a few also with the very earliest of the second version (guessing they had some left over), but in the 1923 catalog, Pflueger was advertising that the reel came with the chamois leather bag. My feeling is that the first version or the the 1923 variety of the second version are appropriate with the leather case.
Stunt Fisher
Frequent Board Poster

Re: Pflueger Supreme Leather Case

Post by Stunt Fisher »

Thanks David!
I am surprised that it might be that old. Now I have to find a nice early version 1573 Supreme to put in it.