Very unusual combo

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Very unusual combo

Post by Steve »

A fellow collector asked if I could help ID a truly unusual - weird, if you prefer - rod/reel combo he acquired. I couldn't. Have you ever seen one like it?
The wood rod has four sections, is about 7.5-feet long, has a butt cap labeled "SWAN PATENTS," has a built-in single-action reel with one raised pillar, and - believe it or not - has a cricket cage fastened to the rod in front of the reel.

The line leaves the reel, goes under a rod that spans the cricket cage, through a ring guide at the front of the cage, and along the rod, where it passes through other ring guides attached to the ferrules, and finally through the rod's tip-top.

The cricket cage has a removeable rectangular cover plate.

Though the combo appears home-made, could it have been manufactured commercially in some other country?
Has anyone seen guides attached to the ferrules before?
Can anyone identify what the "Swan Patents" are? Were they granted for fishing equipment? Could this combo be for some-non-angling use?
Can anyone suggest why the cricket cage was placed in front of the reel, rather than behind it?
Inquiring minds are flummoxed.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Very unusual combo

Post by klonder »

I would think much easier access to the cricket box if placed above the reel assumming one would have the butt tucked under one's arm.
Has a rifle receiver look about it suggesting a gun smiths work to me.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

It is possible that the Swan Patent was the English Joseph Swan listed here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Swan. The part could be from a lighting appliance or socket, but he had many other patents as well.

I agree that the cricket cage is mounted out the of way of the handle and in a logical place.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Clearly, at least to me anyway :) , the cricket cage is an after the fact add-on. It doesn't appear to match the other metal work. How does one determine whether the bait box is situated on the top, or on the bottom, of the outfit? :? Also, I'm wondering if the knurled end of the butt cap is threaded for access into a small terminal tackle repository?
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

...much easier access to the cricket box if placed above the reel
...cricket cage is an after the fact add-on
Both good points.
It is possible that the Swan Patent was the English Joseph Swan listed here
We considered Sir J.W. Swan, too. The only invention we could find that seemed as if it could be relevant to the combo was his method of making "artificial silk." There was an F. Swann who co-patented a wire frame for permitting guide rings to be removed as needed. The co-patentee was S. Allcock & Co., and the patent was dated June 19, 1912.

And there have been many inventors named Swan.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I'm wondering if the knurled end of the butt cap is threaded for access into a small terminal tackle repository?
Good question, Tommy. I'm told the cap is bayonet-mounted and covers a tackle repository.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Steve wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:48 pm
I'm wondering if the knurled end of the butt cap is threaded for access into a small terminal tackle repository?
Good question, Tommy. I'm told the cap is bayonet-mounted and covers a tackle repository.
Considering the bayonet-mounted storage cap I'm thinking probably the obvious, UK or British made, or made by someone that had recently migrated from those parts.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027