Striper Fishing with Capt. Dan Marini

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Striper Fishing with Capt. Dan Marini

Post by Jim Schottenham »

I've had the good fortune to fish with not only the best guide I've ever fished with, but a person I call friend, for several years in a row now. Dan Marini is hands down the best at his craft, and the striper fishing trips keep getting better and better with each passing year. I'm an angler that likes to use all sorts of tackle, spinning gear, bait casting set-ups and fly rods, and Dan understands this, putting me in the best places to do it all. I'm also a top-water junkie - nothing makes me happier than seeing that explosion on a walk the dog bait, or a gurgling fly on the surface, and the stripers have always been ready and willing. Dan's knowledge of the area and the fish habits is unequaled, which means I never have to wonder about his recommendations. No joke, with each day (I book more than one each time, ya never know what the weather is going to bring), I've been into fish from the first few, if not the first, cast. On top of all this, Dan is an ORCA member that loves old reels, so you can imagine the conversations! The Cape is a great place for a vacation too, and the food....well, lets just say I didn't get to be this size without enjoying the meals!

If you've ever thought about chasing the stripers on the Cape, look Dan up - he's in the ORCA member directory. I'm already looking forward to next year!!
Jim
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Striper Fishing with Capt. Dan Marini

Post by Mike N »

Wow, that’s very cool, Jim. It’s really great to fish with a guide who knows his craft and better yet when he’s a friend and reel collector.

Where on the Cape did you fish? The premier summer college wooden bat league is on the Cape, and I loved watching games in Chatham.

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Those are nice fish. It looks like Jim and Dan were having a good day.
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

I have only been out on Dan's boat one time, but can second all of Jim's sentiments. An amazing guide and a great guy.
Wanted: Horton, Bristol & Meek reels, reel boxes, and catalogs!!!!
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Where on the Cape did you fish? The premier summer college wooden bat league is on the Cape, and I loved watching games in Chatham.
Mike, you nailed the area. Sandy and I stay right in Chatham, and Dan fishes in and around that area.
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Thanks for the pictures, Jim.

Looks like a great time !

I get the distinct feeling Dan only does things one way ...the best way possible.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Great photos, and great cap. I am putting a Dan Marini trip on my list. I worked in Boston for 15 years, but never managed to make it to the cape. I did haunt the Vermont and NH streams though.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

kyreels wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:19 pm Great photos, and great cap. I am putting a Dan Marini trip on my list. I worked in Boston for 15 years, but never managed to make it to the cape. I did haunt the Vermont and NH streams though.
The real question is whether you ever had a beer with Norm and Cliff at Cheers?
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

whether you ever had a beer with Norm and Cliff at Cheers?
Of course, my first or second day in downtown Boston I went to the famous Cheers bar and had a drink of some kind. It was the thing to do in the day. Norm and Cliff did not show up.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Fun! Striper fishing, esp with fly tackle, is such adventure. I've loved it. Fun throwing in some false albies in there too. Great photos, Jim.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

Nice fish! That looks like fun!