Remove Comfo ring

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Stunt Fisher
Frequent Board Poster

Remove Comfo ring

Post by Stunt Fisher »

I recently acquired a Pflueger Supreme 512. It has the old Comfo ring and E-Z Grips on it. I'd like to remove both, but am not sure if there's a best way to do that. Does anyone have any experience in successfully removing them?
I don't want to try something only to learn that it's the wrong thing to do and mess up the reel. I tried to search this site using Comfo as a key word. That didn't help. I know this is not a "collector's item", but I will put in on my shelf and want it to look nice.

Thanks in advance!

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Remove Comfo ring

Post by john elder »

In that brittle condition, it should just peel off. No need to try and save it. If there is anything still stuck down, i’m guessing it will loosen up with a few squirts of WD-40 and a rag.

Good luck!
John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

There are a couple of new ones for sale on eBay:

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Stunt Fisher
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Stunt Fisher »

Thanks guys. I tried to peel the ring off, but there are several places where it sticks to the reel. I'll try some WD-40. Also, I never thought about putting a new ring back on. I believe I have one on my shelf that I can replace it with. I don't where it is, but it's gotta be better displayed on the reel than hidden away in a box somewhere. Not sure about the grips, though. Thanks again!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I would think mineral spirits would remove any glue residue that WD40 doesn't get without harming the reel surfaces.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Stunt Fisher
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Stunt Fisher »

Well, I soaked the plates in mineral spirits and that didn't seem to help. Next I soaked in WD-40 with no luck. Several hours of soaking in each. Next I boiled the plates in water for about three minutes. That softened everything up enough to scratch it all off with my finger nails. Getting that gooey rubber out from under my finger nails was another matter.
Thanks again for the suggestions.
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

How about Goo Gone? Works on a lot of sticky stuff.

Keepin' It Fun!

Colby
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

You could also try a Magic Eraser, working slowly.