Duncan Briggs model L-16 baitcaster

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Fenndango
Big ORCA Fan

Duncan Briggs model L-16 baitcaster

Post by Fenndango »

Found this at a junk shop today for $6 in the Southwest corner of New Hampshire. It was mixed in with tools. Works great!

I read that there was an article about the Duncan Briggs company published by ORCA about 20 years ago. Is there a way to read that somewhere here?

Thanks,

Mason
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Re: Duncan Briggs model L-16 baitcaster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Hi, Mason. Article appeared in Reel News 2005:3. D-B Reel Co. was in Providence,RI, phone book from ‘48 to ‘55. A fly reel and five casting reels (sizes?) are mentioned L-14 to L-22. More questions were asked than answered in the article. Owner, employees, not known.
Last edited by Paul Roberts on Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Fenndango
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Fenndango »

Thanks
Dustnstuff
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Dustnstuff »

I think I was the one who wrote the article on Duncan Briggs Reel Company.
I can add the following from my research. G. Duncan Briggs was indeed the owner. Employees is still a question.
He not only made Reels under his name but also for Lake City Fly Reel Co , Sportmaster, South Bend, Weber,
and HI Sportcraft. There may be others.
At one time, I had called every Briggs in Providence RI trying to fine anyone who might have additional Information,
There was none.
In the original box there is an extra spring and pawl.
Dustnstuff
Fenndango
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Fenndango »

Thanks for the info!