Question: polishing brass gears

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Matthooper
Big ORCA Fan

Question: polishing brass gears

Post by Matthooper »

I’ve never considered polishing the brass gears but since my next project is a reel with a side plate that un screws for easy access I’m considering also polishing the internal parts. Is this okay or should the just be well cleaned and lubed?
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Question: polishing brass gears

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I focus on spinning reels, but I soak all internal metal parts in lacquer thinner for a good & thorough cleaning and then brush, burnish and/or polish them prior to reinstallation. I want them to be as close to new condition as I can get them before I put the reel back together, even if it's just going to sit on a shelf.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Matthooper
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Matthooper »

Any polish recommendations?
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

The ORCA Reel Restoration handbook is strongly recommended for anyone newly undertaking restoration work. It is available here https://www.orcaonline.org/orca-store/o ... ing-reels/

Some of the polishes recommended in the book are
Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish
GLO Metal Polish
Nevr-Dull magic wadding polish
Brasso
Simichrome
Flitz polish
Wenol polish
Miracle Cloth
Twinkle paste
Hope’s brass polish
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

I suppose the utility of polishing internals depends on what you are wanting to do with the given reel. On the direct-drive (DD) casting reels I like to work on, and will fish with, I polish all metal to metal contact areas that might affect casting performance. I clean down to metal with mineral spirits, and/or Dawn dish soap, then polish with 0000 steel wool both by hand and, for bushing surfaces, on a toothpick or bamboo skewer off a power drill. I then buff with a power rotary tool and Flitz to get a mirror shine. Then appropriate synthetic lubes (grease on gear teeth and light oils elsewhere). A DD reel relies on, or suffers, a lot of metal to metal contact in casting. I do my best to minimize friction. The one thing I've yet to do is to lap the gear teeth, using a polishing compound and time on a slow rotating power tool. I suppose I could see this on a spanking new set of gears, but not sure how helpful this might be on an old worn-in set of gears.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024