Dating Ocean City Inductor surf reel

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Matthooper
Big ORCA Fan

Dating Ocean City Inductor surf reel

Post by Matthooper »

Found this for a modest price today at an antique store. Looks like it has all the bells and whistles. I was wondering if anyone could estimate the manufacturing date. There’s a price tag on the bottom of the box for $13.50. It also has 2 small envelopes of reel clamps (still stapled shut) a manual, cloth bag and a slim pink paper strip for instructions to operate the bail but for some reason the pics are too large to be uploaded :|. All is in good condition except for a lubricant stain on the bag.

foakes
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Dating Ocean City Inductor surf reel

Post by foakes »

Hi Matt —

According to Mike’s great Ocean City book — the magnetic “Inductor” 250 was first introduced in 1949.

Best, Fred
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Although the Inductor first appeared in 1949 OC catalogs, it is described in detail (and shown) in Harlan Major's Salt Water Fishing Tackle, 1948 edition.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

I believe the silver emblem places it on the earlier end of the date spectrum
-Chris R.
Matthooper
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Matthooper »

Thanks for the replies. I’ve been searching the net and couldn’t find any exact images of this piece. Not yet anyhow :wink:
Matthooper
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Matthooper »

Matthooper wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:50 pm Thanks for the replies. I’ve been searching the net and couldn’t find any exact images of this piece. Not yet anyhow :wink:
edit-I feel like a reel :wink: dope. Just found out everything I wanted to know on this site after some searching. Thanks folks and FISH ON!