Is this an actual JL Sage wooden box?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Is this an actual JL Sage wooden box?

Post by Mike N »

I’ve owned JL Sage Kentucky reels off and on since Ron sold me two back in 1989. I’ve never seen a box for one. I got these photos in an auction notice this morning but don’t think I’ll bid. I would like to read anyone’s thoughts about, however. Dovetail, sliding lid boxes like this are a dime a dozen, so I guess it comes down to the paper label.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: Is this an actual JL Sage wooden box?

Post by kyreels »

It could be I suppose, but probability says not. I have not seen a verified Sage box however. I have seen and examined several fake KY reel boxes. The label is the key. If you could examine it in person, it would probably tell the tale. This label looks artificially aged, based on the edges being uniformly tattered. It looks like someone aged it and attached it to the box. Bottom line, no way to tell from the auction photos, which I viewed on the liveauctioneer site.

If someone had a verified label with some provenance, it could be compared of course. That would be interesting.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Could be a waste of money ...or a fabulous buy.

Flip a coin.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

A coin flip is 50-50 probability, this is 90-10 probability of a fake.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I alerted Betty about this and she indicated Milam used similar boxes sometimes and is doing some checking about Sage. Hopefully, news will follow.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by bettybarr »

Even Howard Fortune hasn’t seen a Sage box. We agree with Matt and Mike, etc. This is a mystery. If this is the real deal it is a find.