Coin edges

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Coin edges

Post by klonder »

Anybody have any tips on how to restore worn coin edges on hard rubber plates?
Thanks,Steve
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Coin edges

Post by Nick in NY »

Hmmm good question.... I've never really thought about restoring them but accept them for what they are UNLESS there's a way of re rolling the plate., even then they most likely will not align.
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

You could do in on a lathe, given the right knurling tool, but as Nick said, would have to be an exact match. If not, then it will overrun in the second pass. The alternative is to leave as is or enhance with a file, using a jig to turn the plate and define depth of cut. I suspect Nick’s suggestion to walk away is good advice.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

Thanks gents.
Went poking around and found some thin, flexable abrasive wire use by guitar guys to work on guitar nuts and bridges where the strings lay.
If its thin enough it I might give it a try.
Easier than a file but tedious just the same, like intermadiate wraps on old bamboo.🤪
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

As mentioned above, found this stuff online and bought a spool of their thinnest at .012. It does the job however, I can see where using it for a whole plate would most definitely drive you into the "home" but at least you'd have a good "hobby" to keep you busy!!
Probably better to use it just for touch up or to cut new slots in newly repaired rims. It's not wire but more like cord and breaks if pressed too hard.

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Neat idea, Steve! I have several rolls of thicker tape that i use on wood projects and to cut grooves in hard rubber grasps, but i think i’ll pick up some of that thinner tape, too. The nice thing about that “tape” is that it will form-fit the convex surface and keep the pattern true. If you immobilize the plate in a convenient position and use a consistent number of strokes, you should be able to make it around in short order, then brush lightly with a stiff brush to clean the grooves. If it was me, i’d do wearing magnifying glasses, but maybe you don’t need that aid.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

I wish John! It's a 4" lighted magno glass for me!
Think I'll slap together a little "bow"/holder for short lengths of the cord. Limit waste and help guide my old hands/eyes for a straight cut.
It would be cool to construct some sort of "engine" to auto do the cuts and advance the plate one unit at a time with a hand crank.
Cheers
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

One of those little plumber's hack saw frames would probably suffice as a bow.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

True enough. I was thinking way simple and tiny, so I whipped this up.
The cord requires a light touch and I've yet to adjust correctly so only get 3-4 slots before it breaks.
Should be done sometime in the spring!