When hobbies collide

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

When hobbies collide

Post by Paul M »

When hobbies collide and you run out of shelf space.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: When hobbies collide

Post by john elder »

I love it all, Paul! Any observer’s eye will pull out whatever gem they most want to see… no apologies needed! Can’t wait to see this year’s Christmas turnings!

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Lidded triangular boxes with hand chased threads.

I was recently invited by the Toronto Woodturners Guild to do a live demo. I showed the audience a way of making a finial ornament.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I think i’ll steal your design for the Elders 2023 ornament!! Beautiful!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Wonderful work!
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

Nice! You could start making wood reel boxes. :wink: Your display is looking good. The woodworking gives it a touch of class. Is that a little Malleson hard rubber raised pillar I spot at the front left?
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Beautiful woodworking and a great reel display, Paul. Thanks for sharing these. Those threaded wooden tops are amazing!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Paul,
The title of this thread is so appropriate for me, as well, as my vintage tackle collection learns to live in harmony with my vintage radios and my tobacco pipe collection. Right now there is a peace treaty as I add pipes with silver salmon on the bowl while listening to AM radio. And, yes, Arthur expertly built the cedar table top pipe cases shown below to my specifications modeled after the reel cases he previously crafted.

I am a member of ORCA, the NFLCC and the FATC, as well as the North American Pipe Collectors Club, the Pipe Club of London,and the Western Pennsylvania Antique Radio Society. All these collectors clubs have quarterly newsletters, websites with discussion forums, annual meetings where display tables are available to sell and exhibit,in addition to room trading, and, yes, a lot of great comraderie.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990