Returning member

Post information about yourself and your collecting interests.
Farace
Frequent Board Poster

Returning member

Post by Farace »

Just returning after not posting since 2007, it seems, which alarms me. Lots of “life events” have intervened, including divorce, death of both parents, raising a child with some difficulty, and more. Hoping to hang around a little longer this time.

And, just for kicks, I’ll post a cheap little reel I picked up for five bucks at the antique store yesterday, a Taico, I think no. 420 if I can believe the little bit I can find about it online. Drag and click both directions, not very refined but not unattractive, either.
--Bob Farace

"Fish drink water only when they have no choice."

--Milford ("Stanley") Poltroon
Farace
Frequent Board Poster

Re: Returning member

Post by Farace »

I think all the images I posted over fifteen years ago have fled to the ether, so I’ll also add this image of three of my grandfather’s reels that I inherited, a Pflueger Progress 60, a Pflueger Medalist 1494 from about 1938, and a 1930s Heddon 125 Imperial. I might actually get around to using the Progress one day. I have used the other two. I’ll be rehabbing three of my grandfather’s bamboo rods over the winter, mostly rewrapping guides and ferrules. It’s more likely than not he built these rods with Eustis Edwards blanks from when he had a factory in New Haven, Connecticut. (There’s a story there.)
--Bob Farace

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Welcome back, Bob. Hope you can spend a little more time here this go around.

BTW, I've got one of those old Taicos that's been sitting at the back my reel repair desk for about 15 years. Haven't serviced it yet, but it actually seemed to work pretty good the last time I messed with it. :)
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Howdy, Bob. Welcome back. You've found a good place to...recover. I've found reel tinkering to be downright meditative.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Hey, Bob… welcome! Your gramps was a class act! Nice trimer of reels! Does your Medalist have the early “birdcage” spool?

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Farace
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Farace »

john elder wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:23 pm Hey, Bob… welcome! Your gramps was a class act! Nice trimer of reels! Does your Medalist have the early “birdcage” spool?

John
Hi John. Nope, solid center on this one.
--Bob Farace