Brass

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Brass

Post by klonder »

So a spool from a Hendryx raised pillar(I collect specifics) casting reel after a vinegar(2 to1) bath/scrub, a Brasso application/scrub and finally, DNA on a qtip scrub...........
Line residue for sure. What to do???
Seems impervious.

kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: Brass

Post by kyreels »

Looks like a tough case.

I bought a 30% acetic acid gallon from Home Depot a couple years ago, and use that for tougher jobs (diluted to more reasonable solutions). But of course you have to be very judicious to avoid etching. I would also want to try some Goo Gone to see if it was plastic residual, but then I would quickly go to a polishing compound like Semi-Chrome or Flitz, even if you had to mechanically spin the spool or tool to clean it.

I have always found Brasso to be inadequate and never use it any more.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Post by klonder »

Thanks Matt.
After trying almost every common solvent known to man with no results, I got physical.
Chucked up the spool to spin and applied some light wet/dry paper. Looks like the "stuff" was the result of corrosion and line residue as you can now see the pitting.
Not the best fix but acceptable.

Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Easiest clean by far is spools regardless of size... Secure in a drill press and spin. Start with a fine emery to the affected area BUT be careful that it doesn't get away from you... tighten it good! You may want to practice with a lesser reel spool until you get the hang of it....
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!