Shakespeare Kalamazoo 1962 screws

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
seruga
Frequent Board Poster

Shakespeare Kalamazoo 1962 screws

Post by seruga »

I have a Kalamazoo 1962 that was manufactured in 1919. I would like to open up the reel to inspect, clean, service. I am not having any luck with removing the screws. The precision and vintage drivers I have are not suited for the shallow slots in the screws used on this reel. I am reluctant to hack away at the screws without the proper driver. The 1916 catalog mentions that a "special steel screwdriver" was offered as part of the purchase. Does anyone have any experience with removing the screws on this reel. Any information as to the "special" driver that should be used would be appreciated.

Happy new year all!!!
40fordflathead
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare Kalamazoo 1962 screws

Post by 40fordflathead »

A couple years ago I purchased a Wheeler Engineering gunsmithing screwdriver set. It was a game changer when it comes to screws that you want to remove without buggering the screws.
Bruce Harlan
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

I have some gunsmithing screwdrivers, among others. But, for a perfect fit I've ground my own from any old thrift store screwdriver.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
seruga
Frequent Board Poster

Post by seruga »

thank you for the advice. I do have a set of grace gunsmith screwdrivers but none of them was a good fit. I purchased the small wheeler set today. I'll try those before I start grinding some of my other drivers. Either those screws will make it out without any future dressing.

I'll post some pictures after the reel has been worked on.
seruga
Frequent Board Poster

Post by seruga »

The Wheeler set arrived today - WOW - a game changer is a good way to describe the set. The bits not only fit the Kalamazoo but also JVH and old Pflueger perfectly. It appears to be a good set for those pre 20's reels.

Thank you for the advice.
40fordflathead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 40fordflathead »

I am glad they are working out for you.
Bruce Harlan