Clean a A10-M10 Varnished Reel?

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Clean a A10-M10 Varnished Reel?

Post by kyreels »

I picked this reel up as an upgrade to my current A7-M9 BF Meek & Sons Bluegrass #5. It is in unused condition, but it has been varnished by someone. The varnish gives a very smooth appearance to the surfaces of the metal, but is noticeable and it has worn where the buttons are slid. I consulted with the Reel Professor Craig Barber and he suggested it could have been applied by the "factory" for some purpose as a model reel. I am not so sure. I have actually never seen a german silver reel treated this way. I could see someone doing it for a brass reel to prevent tarnishing, but I personally would not like that either.

So the question for you is what should I do? I am leaning towards removing the varnish, though there is at least some risk this would degrade the reel in some way. Here are pictures of the new reel with comparisons to an uncleaned #5 with normal wear.

Current reel for comparison:

Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Clean a A10-M10 Varnished Reel?

Post by reelsmith. »

I'd remove the varnish. I don't see a risk in degrading the reel.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Re: Clean a A10-M10 Varnished Reel?

Post by Bill Muth »

I'd remove the varnish. I don't see a risk in degrading the reel.
+1
Wanted: Horton, Bristol & Meek reels, reel boxes, and catalogs!!!!