PFLUEGER Spinning 617 or 619

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
dbrinkley
Big ORCA Fan

PFLUEGER Spinning 617 or 619

Post by dbrinkley »

Do any of you know the origin or a location of either of these two Pflueger open faced spinning reels? I would like to purchase either/both. Maybe they were primarily distributed in Europe? Japanese manufactured for sure.

I appreciate each of you and what this group provides.

kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: PFLUEGER Spinning 617 or 619

Post by kyreels »

I see similar reels in the Pflueger 1971 catalog where it introduces the International series starting with 622-643 models. I could not find a 617-618 in any of our lists of Pflueger models. I did see one earlier Japanese model but not similar.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I have never seen or even heard of those two models in the Pflueger brand. They must have been fairly obscure since neither of them are mentioned in Ben Wright's last book.

I wonder if they have a connection to Noris Shakespeare?
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

....No where does the scimatic note they're pfleuger!
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
dbrinkley
Big ORCA Fan

Post by dbrinkley »

So, my thinking is that there were reels distributed outside of the US by 'Pflueger' post acquisition by Shakespeare. These maybe were manufactured by Omari or another Japanese company that Shakespeare was dealing with early on. I have these two documents. Notice that one includes 'international' in the title of the pamphlet. The first language during the reel descriptions is English. On the other there is no mention of International but the first language is German. Let me also say that I have all of these reels but three--the 615, 617 and the 619. I purchased all of them from outside of the US. Here are photos to show the Pflueger brand reference. I apologize for not fully representing context in my previous post.

dbrinkley
Big ORCA Fan

Post by dbrinkley »

Here is a shot of some of the 500's. The above literature doesn't mention the 540 but it exists too.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

That documentation sheds a whole new light on your situation and query. Pflueger offered a huge line of Internationals that were made in Japan throughout the 1970s and into the early 1980s.

As I mentioned earlier they were most likely in conjunction with Noris Shakespeare. Noris Shakespeare Ltd of Japan, & of England, along with Omori, were most likely all part of that conglomeration. About the only way to pin it all down would be if someone has multiple original old Pflueger catalogs from that time frame. Looks like you have a good start with the one you have, anyway.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Wow... That's interesting! It came down to a catalog...l assume Pfleuger was taking examples of other makers reels and putting it out there... looking for the next Mitchell 300! Penn had a 1/2 dozen Japanese/Asian made spin reels as well. Mike Popovich who's since passed had a few spinning reels that never went into production... Very interesting. Another angle to the hobby.
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!