Need Help Identifying Another Fly Rod!!!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
TattooTrav
Big ORCA Fan

Need Help Identifying Another Fly Rod!!!

Post by TattooTrav »

Need help identifying this fly rod if even possible to ID. My apologies I know this is a reel site but I’m currently awaiting approval to the Fiberglass Flyrodders and figured couldn’t hurt to put it on here as well. It’s a telescoping rod with no markings on it at all and other than the coark handle it is solid metal.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Need Help Identifying Another Fly Rod!!!

Post by john elder »

I’m guessing from the pics that you have a rod where the handle can be flipped to give either a fly rod or casting rod. The guides are very heavy and it seems likely that the lower guide is loose and can be slid down into a lower position? That configuration you have makes no sense . See if the rod tip can be removed from the handle.

My suspicions are that they rod is Japanese, but maybe not!

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
TattooTrav
Big ORCA Fan

Post by TattooTrav »

Apologies for the delay in reply but went and checked on what you suggested the bottom cap does not unscrew and none of the eyelets move. It’s a telescoping rod that I’d estimate at 7 1/2’-8’ when extended and about 3’ when compressed down. It’s made entirely out of hollow metal tubing except for the cork handle which spins but does not move up or down.
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

I’d bet Dr. Elder is correct and the rod butt shaft will pull straight out of the grip and can be inserted into the other end of the grip to convert from fly to bait rod. If the cork spins it’s because the glue dried out. Bristol made thousands of these for Shakespeare and other tackle companies and under their own brand name, and unbranded for sale in hardware and general stores.