Latest Find

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Latest Find

Post by Paul Roberts »

I've been on something of a quest to find some period rods, of fishable quality, to match up with my old direct-drive reels. Or at least keeping my eyes peeled. My latest find is a Pflueger model R1756 -obviously a high quality glass rod of its day. From the members library it turned out to be Pflueger's top of the line glass casting rod, as referenced in the 1957 and 1959 product catalogs. By description, my configuration was likely offered sometime after 1957. It's possible the guides had been re-wrapped at some point as well as it has rather coarse brown guide wraps.

The 1756 is a 5'6" Med power model. Sadly, mine came in missing 2" from the tip. I popped a 6/64ths ceramic tip-top on and, being glass, the rod is still flexible enough in the tip to perform just fine. It throws 3/8 and 1/2oz practice plugs nicely. In fact the added rigidity from the cropped tip (something I've purposely done to glass and some graphite blanks) yielded a surprising moderate-fast taper. Power-wise, 3/8-5/8oz seems about right and it should support line weights of 8 to 12lb, possibly 14lb, safely -although I'll be running 20lb PE braid on it, hence the ceramic tip-top. Old brown glass is new to me so I'll ease into whatever power the rod might have to safely work with. Nylon braid might actually be more prudent?

The polished aluminum Speedlock handle is quality as well, and is surprisingly light -for an old offset handle- weighing 5oz. The blade (or "tip" in period language) comes in at 2-1/4 oz. It's a beautiful old rod and its rich dark brown glass matches nicely with the spacer rings on a South Bend 1250-E. Going pure Pflueger, my polished Supreme narrow-spool looks darn spiffy on it. 8)

Last edited by Paul Roberts on Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Re: Latest Find

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Robert the speedlock handles occasionally need the spring cleaned, oiled and adjusted. The spring is easily removed through the handle butt. Water tends to run down into the spring area and cause corrosion after a time. You may have already discovered that some later reel feet do not want to stay steady on this handle. A small piece of leather positioned at the front of the foot has cured this problem for me for years. I am a huge fan of 6ft brown fiber rods -- Phillipson, Silaflex and Actionrod are my "go-to" outfits.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

I couldn’t bring myself to fish that rod! Judging by the label/writing on the shaft the rods in fantastic original condition! While the reels are found day in day out the rods are rare! You do not see them let alone like that...I’d wash that cork grip under warm water and wipe down the rod and put it away...that’s just me.
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Thanks for the tips, Bill. I’ll check on that spring. I’ve addressed the loose foot issue with hockey tape.

Hi, Nick. I hear you. But I don’t think I could bring myself not to fish it! I’m good to my gear and will be esp so with this one. Trips with it will likely be somewhat limited; It'll never be a workhorse outfit. Also, the rod came to me with 2” broken off the tip, which should limit its value, although doesn't affect its castability -glass being soft enough in the tip as it is. I’ll do some more reading on the durability of old brown glass rods.

I'd said that I thought the rod might have been re-wrapped at some point, some time back. But close inspection in bright sunlight (it's been mighty overcast here for some time) I can see that the wraps may be original. I can also see that the rod was clear-coated at some point, back a while. Were such rods clear-coated at the factory?
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024