Bronson reel made for Star Reel Co.

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
mark bumgarner
Advanced Board Poster

Bronson reel made for Star Reel Co.

Post by mark bumgarner »

Purchased this reel a couple years ago at an antique shop in Harrisonburg, VA. I was not much interested until I saw the star on the tail plate. This star appears to be a metal insert pressed in during the bakelite molding process, much like those on early Bronson salt water reels, as addressed by Robert Ellis in "Fishing For History", Vol.1, No.7, July 2013. The reel is definitely Bronson. It is identical to Bronson Altoona 4200, 1934-1941, putting it in the same time period as the early salt water reels with the inserted ship logo.
I am leaning towards this being a reel produced by Bronson for "Star Reel Co.", not to be confused with "Star Reel Works Co. Star Reel Co. did not manufacture reels, they were simply a brand. There are a couple examples of reels manufactured by Bronson for them on page 4 of trade reels on the Bronson site, I was considering adding this reel but wanted to throw it out to the masses and get some feedback be it pro or con. So come on let me have it.

kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: Bronson reel made for Star Reel Co.

Post by kyreels »

Seems like an important callout. Searching the site there seems to be other Star Reel Co reels made by Bronson.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
mark bumgarner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by mark bumgarner »

Yes Matt, the reels listed have the star emblem stamped into the metal on face plate, or tail plate on the reels with bakelite head plates. The "Star Reel Co." reels are the only Bronson reels I can find that carry a star shaped emblem, thats what tugs my brain to add it to their listing, but the scientific side says wait a minuet, where is your proof.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I think there were some larger saltwater reels with similar inlays, like a ship, Indian head, diamond, & maybe even some others I haven't seen yet.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
mark bumgarner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by mark bumgarner »

Yes Tom, some of the Bronson regular line-up, pre-war, salt water reels had the ship emblem inlayed. The Mohawk trade reel had the Indian head emblem and the Silver Diamond trade reel had the open diamond emblem inlayed. The reel in question would have been manufactured in the same time period as the above mentioned. Just seems logical to affiliate the star emblem with "Star Reel Co.".
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
mark bumgarner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by mark bumgarner »

Well I believe we have found the smoking gun.

This reel was listed on e-bay, ( again I was unsuccessful bidder ), I obtained permission from the lister to add his photos to our Bronson site. Horrocks-Ibbotson, as indicated on the bottom of the box label, sold this reel as the "Star Level Wind" which enforces my theory it was made by Bronson for "Star Reel Co.". I found this reel listed in the 1939 H-I catalog although I believe it could have been made earlier, there is a gap in our library from 34-38. This reel is identical to the Bronson #2100 Gladiator, other than color. My reel, as pictured at the top of this post, is not the ABL version, nor is it boxed but I think I have found my answer.
Thanks to Dustin Lucas for allowing me to share his photos and to all others who have or will share their ideas on this post.
Thanks again
Bummy
Biggamereels1988
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Biggamereels1988 »

I bid on this reel as well. A very nice reel - Gotta love that star! :D
Thehorseman
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Thehorseman »

Thanks to Bill Hinton for finding this thread for me. This answers a lot of questions I had! Thanks. Here are the ones I have.
By the one , I truly believe this is the same reel and box as the one pictured in this thread from 2016. Same damage and rust spot.

mark bumgarner
Advanced Board Poster

Post by mark bumgarner »

Nice collection of reels there. If anyone has the Silver Diamond and would like to sell, I am in the market.
Bummy