Edward vom Hofe Salmon Reel - Early - Unknown

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Edward vom Hofe Salmon Reel - Early - Unknown

Post by reeltackle »

Here is a new one on me. This early 6/0 size salmon reel bears the Edward vom Hofe oil cap that was used between 1883 and 1889. The reel appears to be a Cascapedia with a raised hard rubber rim and no Nickle silver bands, however it has no markings whatsoever other than the EvH name on the oil cap. The Cascapedia was introduced in 1889, however, the 6/0 size was not introduced until 1911 and this reel appears to pre-date both of those dates ... so, perhaps a special order? Oh, and as an extra bonus it comes in an excellent case with matching initials on the lid and the early EvH stamp on the bottom. Has anyone seen another salmon fly fishing reel like this before? Thanks for looking and for any insights you might have regarding this reel.

Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Ray Hencken
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Edward vom Hofe Salmon Reel - Early - Unknown

Post by Ray Hencken »

Ed,
I see the double pillars located on the reel which I would think would be for a left hand wind or for the reel used "rings up". Does the reel favor LHW or RHW? Just checked Ted Bingham's book and it looks like the reel he pictures has the same pillar configuration.
The Cascapedia was available without nickle silver bands - 403 or with nickle silver bands - 413. According to Bingham, the 403 was dropped before 1907.
That is a very nice reel!
Ray Hencken
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Good points, Ray. If the line hasn’t been removed, direction might tell something. With that tall bodied reel, seems most likely to me that it was fished below tge rod, left-handed.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Ray and John,

The reel is indeed Left Hand Wind and meant to be fished under the rod.

Ray, yes, I would imagine it is a band-less 403 made somewhere between 1883 and 1889. According to catalogs and Bingham's book the size would be a 5/0 as it has a 4 1/4 inch diameter. The same diameter reel was marked a 6/0 after 1907.

Thanks for your help guys!
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Eric J
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Eric J »

Gosh that’s a beautifully sculpted crank arm! Classy and stylish.