All Vintage Tackle Largemouth Beast Caught Tonight!!!!!

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
TattooTrav
Big ORCA Fan

All Vintage Tackle Largemouth Beast Caught Tonight!!!!!

Post by TattooTrav »

So ok not all vintage tackle the line was just reg Power Pro 20lb braid. And I apologize for terrible photos they do not do her justice but, she was 4lbs 10oz on digital scale. Unfortunately did not get measurement. She put up a hell of a fight was honestly worried about her snapping 20lb braid.

Lure was what I believe is Heddon Whopper Stopper Hellbender (Don’t know color)

Reel was a Shakespeare Sigma #0002

Rod was a 6’6” med. heavy Renegade Pro Series (Don’t know maker)
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Re: All Vintage Tackle Largemouth Beast Caught Tonight!!!!!

Post by Paul Roberts »

Congrats on a nice catch.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Ray Hencken
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Ray Hencken »

Nice catch! That's a Wopper Stopper. Did Heddon make a Wopper Stopper? J.Fred Eder is credited with first producing the Wopper Stopper in 1945.
I caught a 5lb largemouth bass on a shad Wopper Stopper from Kentucky Lake in 1966 when I was an undergraduate student at Murray State University. I believe that the bait got stuck on something and as I was pumping the rod back and forth, up and down, the bass struck the bait, freed it and the fight commenced. It qualified for a Sports Afield award. Not the biggest bass to come out of Kentucky Lake but the biggest for me, a trout fisherman.
TattooTrav
Big ORCA Fan

Post by TattooTrav »

Thank you! And I only say its a Heddon based solely on what I’ve see researching them online but, could be totally wrong on that. But just to put it more in perspective the bass at this lake are so backwards due to fact that they bite more in the afternoon hours and an hour after sunset than at sunrise and sunset, and they will absolutely destroy topwater all year long as long as it’s about an hour after sunset. Now I have fished this lake most of my life but, have fished it literally every day for past 10 years. With it’s large population of cormorants, a family of Osprey, Tilapia, Catfish, Carp, & trout during the winter, plus unfortunately it is only catch and release recommended and not required I have not seen nor caught anything above 3.5lbs. They just don’t survive long enough to get that big here. So to catch one that is almost 5lbs is more than lilley a lake record. Then to top it off to catch her the one time I finally use my vintage equipment, just makes me wonder why they stopped making these. Especially the lures cause I’m pretty sure rod, reel & lure was made before I was born. It just goes to show you that like muscle cars the classic & vintage hand built tried & true will work and last forever.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

The lure is a Hellbender, probably in 5/8 oz large size. It was made by Whopper Stopper, no Heddon connection. Here is a 1/2 oz Hellbender in white flash, color number 909, in the box with paperwork. If anyone wants to try it out I will ship it for $10 ppd in the continental USA.

Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
TattooTrav
Big ORCA Fan

Post by TattooTrav »

Ok good to know thank you for the info. I’ve been trying to figure out what all these are. Even have a wood one shown in middle of bottom row in second pic. Is the wooden one the same as all the others or is it by a different maker cause it has a completely different bill on it? Did Whopper Stopper also make the Bombers shown in bottom row of first pic? Also if anyone can help identify the wood lure in the middle of top row in second pic it has no markings. From the little I’ve found online I believe it to be an old lipless crankbait. Is that correct?
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

There is a pretty good history of Bomber Baits and Whopper Stopper on the site below. I think all the questions you have may be on that site. https://www.mybaitshop.com/pages/bomber-lures
Matt Wickham
Ray Hencken
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Ray Hencken »

Also if anyone can help identify the wood lure in the middle of top row in second pic it has no markings. From the little I’ve found online I believe it to be an old lipless crankbait. Is that correct?

I think it is a Bayou Boogie. Can't quite tell from the picture.
TattooTrav
Big ORCA Fan

Post by TattooTrav »

kyreels wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:17 pm The lure is a Hellbender, probably in 5/8 oz large size. It was made by Whopper Stopper, no Heddon connection. Here is a 1/2 oz Hellbender in white flash, color number 909, in the box with paperwork. If anyone wants to try it out I will ship it for $10 ppd in the continental USA.

I’m confused cause right here it shows that Heddon did make a Whopper Stopper Hellbender.
TattooTrav
Big ORCA Fan

Post by TattooTrav »

Ray Hencken wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:32 am
Also if anyone can help identify the wood lure in the middle of top row in second pic it has no markings. From the little I’ve found online I believe it to be an old lipless crankbait. Is that correct?

I think it is a Bayou Boogie. Can't quite tell from the picture.

Thank you Ray for the help identifying, that is exactly what it is. Just without the box.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I would assume that Pradco acquired Whopper Stopper and rebranded the Hellbender to Heddon. That is hard to keep up with.
Matt Wickham