Perez Reel Info I Hadn't Seen Before

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
RonG
Super Board Poster

Perez Reel Info I Hadn't Seen Before

Post by RonG »

Here's some good stuff if you collect Perez reels or just want to find out more about them.

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Perez Reel Info I Hadn't Seen Before

Post by john elder »

Ron was kind enough to show me this great ad earlier. I learned a couple things and had some questions that maybe someone reading this post can address. My response:

“ Man, i want one!! What an ad! Embarrassed to say that i’m not sure what the 60 vs 90 degree argument is about, since the line doesn’t play off the side plates. The back pillar has grooves, but nothing on the front p7
Pillar where line runs. Also embarrassed to admit that with all these reels i’ve had and time i spent with them, i never appreciated that the backward turn of the crank threw the reel back into gear! It does tend to unscrew the side plate a little but that would tighten the minute it was cranked.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Great history and great fun! What more can you ask for? Thanks for posting Ron.

Keepin' It Fun!

Colby
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

I'm guessing the wider screw thread is considered stronger bc there's simply more metal/thread there? I have thought that finer threads would be more secure -for no really good reason other than guessing that tighter threads make a tighter fit and therefore less apt to loosen?
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

simply more metal/thread there
I was wondering the same. I guess the only explanation is surface area is greater on the metal-to-metal. But the question is how does having greater surface area make the plate stronger? You could argue that you could pull the plate off easier. It probably makes it easier to screw on and off, but not sure it would be any stronger.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Read this first.
The tensile strength stress area is the cross-sectional area of the threaded rod, bolt, reel sideplate, or whatever that resists fracture. Tensile strength area increases as the number of threads per inch decreases.

P.S. Reeltackle, please note the presence of pi.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."