Vom Hofe reels and red script engraving

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Vom Hofe reels and red script engraving

Post by Richard Lodge »

I just acquired this Julius vom Hofe size 3 multiplier with the name Geo. A. Dickerson. written in lovely script on the front. I've seen a few EVH and JVH reels with this style of writing (also in red). Was this a common custom option from the factory or from tackle dealers? I was a little surprised that such a basic, lower-level JVH reel had this modification so I'm wondering if it's more common than I think it was.
canesterdf
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Vom Hofe reels and red script engraving

Post by canesterdf »

Hello, Paul here, I don't post much but I am here so I will. I too have observed this pleasant looking script on more than a small number of reels. I have also seen just a few with white. Sometimes a full name another time just an initial. Like P My two reels are both EVH but I have seen a few JVH that were engraved as well. I have seen it enough times. over the years of collecting and observing that I highly suspect it was a factory Option or as suggested available through a better class retailer like A & F or Alex Taylor's. Engraving for many things was a very popular way to add a personal touch for a nice gift or to commemorate a friendship or honor a birthday, anniversary or other milestone. I don't think it was very expensive either. There were plenty of watchmakers and village type jewelers and others who did engraving. Now to the collector value I think that some like it and others do not. I think it remains a neutral value when it comes to price of a reel or rod or shotgun or other collectible. Although I see it as neutral value wise, I happen to really like it if done well. If you have provenance that can be proved, now that is another value to be observed. Best to you and good luck in your collecting and fishing.
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Thanks for the post, Paul. You're right that jewelers would have been available to do classy engraving on reels that might have been gifts or for presentations. I'd love to know more about the fellow who owned my reel but, alas, it's not an unusual name.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

I don't think it's very common on lower end reels, Richard, so this one is unusual, at least from what I've seen. Very common on the bigger saltwater and fly reels. Beautiful work, either way.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I have seen vom Hofe reels engraved many times. I really would like to see a little study done about this. It is interesting because it has been done many different ways. I have seen rim block letter engraving and script engraving on the reels and leather cases. My exposer to vom Hofe is very limited, but I am willing to bet that vom Hofe collectors could add a rich contribution to this study.

In this case the leather case has the initials engraved onto a German Silver plaque, while the same reel has the gentlmans name engraved on the reel. The model in these photos is a Edward vom Hofe 521-4/0.

Here are some examples of rim block letter engraving:

More pictures would be fun here.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Thanks for posting those photos, Mike. I got a chuckle over "Speed Fry" and was wondering if that was Mr./Ms. Fry's given name or nickname. I, too, would like to see Vom Hofe collectors weigh in with more photos and insight into this trend of engraved EVH and JVH reels. And Brian, I totally agree with you that engraving tends to be seen on higher-end reels. Mine is a bit more humble (and inexpensive) so this fancy engraving was a bonus for me.
Richard