Pfleuger Medalist Fly Reels Drag System

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
mawatling
Big ORCA Fan

Pfleuger Medalist Fly Reels Drag System

Post by mawatling »

Hello there. I am new to this group, and I have a question about the drag systems in Pfleuger Medalist fly reels. I have three different models of these reels: 1594 RC, 1495 1/2 and the 1554 (which, actually, has no drag system). Do any of you know if the drag system parts in these reels have asbestos in them? If so, is there any need to do anything about it?
I did some searching on the ORCA site, and I read the following comment, as the commenter was comparing some reels:

The only apparent thing that might be responsible for the difference to me is that the Ocean City and Penns used asbestos drag disks but the Pfluegers used a "micarta" or material that looks a lot like today's fiberglass drag disks made by Penn. Maybe they were ahead of their time?

Thanks, everyone, for your guidance about this. I also reached out to Shakespeare to inquire but haven’t heard back from them.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Pfleuger Medalist Fly Reels Drag System

Post by john elder »

I believe the comment is correct. They used micarta for those drags.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
mawatling
Big ORCA Fan

Post by mawatling »

Thanks for guidance, Mr. Elder.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

In case this is relevant to the inquiry, pre-1970 micarta material may contain asbestos. Westinghouse manufactured such a product. Be careful with such drag washers.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

Asbestos is only a problem if you breath it. When the washer is greased or oiled, it cannot throw off particles that become airborne.
mawatling
Big ORCA Fan

Post by mawatling »

Thank you, everyone, for your advice. Do think my two Pfleuger reels with drag may be older than 1970? They are the 1495 1/2 (with only RH retrieve and a round line guide) and the 1594 RC, which I have the original box and owner’s manual for. Please see the pictures below. Thanks
Last edited by mawatling on Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
mawatling
Big ORCA Fan

Post by mawatling »