Drag handles

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Drag handles

Post by Reelman2 »

Occasionally I come across reels that have a drag handle such as the Williams and Rabbeth. Sometimes there will be one for sale and it might be labeled wrong. If you have a reel with one of these could you provide a pic and label it I am pretty familiar with the Williams but others I am not sure of. Is there a book that would list the various ones ?
Collect mostly Ky style reels; Meek, Heddon, Horton, Pflueger Redifor and Worth, etc.

ORCA Member
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: Drag handles

Post by RonG »

Bill Hoerter had his collection of reels with external handle drag variations at the St. Augustine Show. It was very interesting seeing the various designs. See Photos.

Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Is there a book that would list the various ones ?
My book includes photos when possible and descriptions of what I believe are all the U.S. drag handles patented up to 1920 and a couple of later ones. An example:

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

The Bill Hoerter display was very interesting, I had never seen another display of drags like that. It would be interesting to see a reel display with the freshwater (or bait casting) reels with special drag handle variations.

If you don't have the Vernon flagship book Antique Fishing Reels, you will regret it when it goes out of print. There may never be another printing. I may buy a second copy so I can sell it to you.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Thank you, Matt.

I wish I could have seen Bill's display and read the cards. Some are readable in the photos, but there are others I don't recognize.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

BILL HOERTER
Frequent Board Poster

Post by BILL HOERTER »

Steve it was your Great Book that gave me the idea to collect the salt water drag handles that were made in America pre star drag. I am having a great time finding all the different varieties and also interesting ones that have been altered by fishermen. I am also finding interesting handle stops that go with the drag handles. In looking for these items I am wondering if the drag handle and handle stop is strictly American. I can't thank you enough for all your research and your book that I use almost every day.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Bill, it's great to learn you find the book useful. Thank you for the kind words. That's a very interesting collecting niche, and you clearly have been unusually successful in filling it. Spiffy! We can deal with the American? question later.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Hi Bill,
I was always curious about the drag handle on the reel 2nd from right on the 2nd row from top. I know it's marked Cozzone but never saw it in Phil's book (maybe in Roger's?). Looks very much like a Williams drag handle.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Jeff Johnson
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jeff Johnson »

I was wondering if anyone has seen this handle? I collect interesting drag handles as well. This may not fall into that category since it's using the the reels existing wheel but it's got the cool factor. It's made by the company who makes the Drone lure - LB Huntington. It's the only example I've seen.
Jeff Johnson
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jeff Johnson »

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Neat! Never seen that one! It looks like it’s mission is to add mechanical advantage for cranking by lengthening the throw on the handle? I see a stop 2/3 of the way up the handle…. Implies that there is another stop, unseen, on the other side of the square centerpiece? Is it free to slide in that centerpiece to change the length of throw?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Jeff Johnson
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jeff Johnson »

John, you are correct - it's an early adjustable power handle. The stop on the other side is just a screw at the end of the arm. It's easily adjustable with no tools and could be done while fighting a fish. Anybody else have one or seen one? It was a first for me. Thanks! Jeff