Customized Shakes' 2062 at Work

Share your fishing adventures, especially ones using antique tackle!
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Customized Shakes' 2062 at Work

Post by Paul Roberts »

19" and prob just shy of 4lbs. Scrappy, she was, despite 48F water.

The reel is one of my customized (re-painted) Shakespeare 2062's. I re-painted two 2062's bc I just don't like the maroon/purple color (although the first was pretty dinged up). These reels are not rare and will continue their intended role as quality fishing tools, just in different dress -krinkle black, like the venerable DAM Quick's. I really love that look.

These 2062's are a joy to fish with: glass smooth, plenty of torque so far (with 8-12lb lines), silent (except for that guillotine bail!). The bail needs a running start not to bind upon closing; Perhaps I can adjust that, without making it too weak. And it closes with a vengeance! It almost conjures visions of severed fingers lying on the boat floor! I've added a thin leather bail stop to meet the... incoming one. The retrieve speed is slow (21") by modern standards, but so far hasn't posed an issue, and may even be a plus in the cold water of early season. I've found high speed retrieves most needed with techniques that call for "baitcasting" rigs anyway. Although, come summer, as the overall pace picks up, I've found myself going to faster spinning reels as well.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Re: Customized Shakes' 2062 at Work

Post by Ron Mc »

a month late on attaboy, you live with nice fish, and take nice tackle after them.
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Thanks, Ron. Somewhat lucky with the fish. The pond does produce some big ones, but precious few quality fish overall. Nearly half the non-stunted bass I've caught have been ~4lbs and over. Still hoping to discover something I've missed -like a passel of 2lbers to provide some feedback on how I, and that water, is faring. I've yet to catch more than one decent fish at one time. I'm going to start looking elsewhere, although I've been known to beat dead horses.

Only issue I have with the 2062 is that guillotine bail. My word it's loud -even with an added leather bail stop. Ka-Clank!!
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Fixed it! That stiff and way too loud bail. It needed a running start, or could bind, and then closed with a vengeance. Took it apart, filed and lubed the trip mechanism, and it now trips easily, although still fairly loud. Also tightened the loose AR lever by re-forming the spring washer. If it’s going to be fished, it has to do what’s asked of it, when asked, bail function being critical.