Help! South Bend No. 10 model B...

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Help! South Bend No. 10 model B...

Post by JoeW »

Looked high and low-- internet, auctions, books, etc = not even a mention of this reel! What the heck is it! Help let me sleep well tonight!

Level wind, no ABL bar, on-off click button is flat.

Thanks in advance- Joe Walkowski (ORCA)

Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Re: Help! South Bend No. 10 model B...

Post by Paul Roberts »

Dunno. But the No. 20 shows in print ads from 1950's. ORCA library has many SB catalogs and ad's. There is a No 10 box up for sale now on ebay. And another 10. Maybe Jim Madden will pop in.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Madden »

Joe, the #10 does have a bit of a history. The first reel was only offered in the C105 trade catalog from 1955, but it must not have performed well since it never made the retail catalog. It was listed at only $4.50. The nickel plated reel had fixed end caps and only two screws on the head plate. The knobs were unlike any other by SB. They were black grips tapered narrower toward the handle. The company tried again in 1961 with the same features, but You would expect it to be a Model A. I never found one in the field or in the catalog. That remains a mystery. The 1961 lasted until 1964. The Model B you have is a transition reel form 1965, I believe. The oil caps are now removable and adjustable like yours, but the tapered grips were changed to a white/cream swirl. Yours had not been changed yet, but I believe that would change soon. The series ended in 1967. The #10, #15, and #25 were the lowest price reels in their first years. Spincasting and spinning reels were taking over, so lower prices in baitcasters could still compete.
Desperately seeking SB reel #100A, a #600 box. JMadden
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Thank you, Jim! Didn't think there was THAT much to know about that reel! I'm all set! Thanks again for taking the time- another one of the "good guys"! - Best--- Joe Walkowski (WNYTC ORCA)