unmarked brass reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

unmarked brass reel

Post by Jim Madden »

This little fly reel has a permanent click and is 2 3/8" wide. The pillars screws fit through collars and screw into the tail plate. I couldn't get the spool out so this is all I have to show until I get the courage to work hard on it. Inside the plate that is removed, there is a mark scratched. It is IIV. I hope there is enough that you can see to identify it. If no one here knows it, I know nobody else will. Thanks!
Desperately seeking SB reel #100A, a #600 box. JMadden
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: unmarked brass reel

Post by Paul M »

Probably made by Heaton.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Madden »

Thanks, Paul. Is there anything specific that makes you think so?
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

They look a lot like the construction of my Heaton fisherman scene reels including size, proportions and general structure. While not a certainty, the roman numeral style of “artisan mark” scribed by hand is something seen on Heaton reels. The way the rear bearing pokes though the backplate, the style of backplate journal, the way the foot attaches to the side plates, the threaded pillars and corresponding threaded holes in the side plates, the bone grasp style and position on the face plate, the size and shape of the built in housing on the rear plate…so nothing specific but too many similarities to be coincidental IMHO.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

1935 Heaton wholesale catalog (pretty sure I put this in ORCA library)

Same reel (Heaton) sold from Milward catalog - you'll also find them in S. Allcock, Farlow, most every English gunsmith, imported to Canada by AL&W (likely Wm Mills and Folsom Arms - everyone who did business with Allcock)
Even Hardy sold this reel from Heaton.

Older examples will have antler grasp, later examples will have wood.
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Madden »

Thanks, Gentlemen, Ron that picture is exactly the one I have only maybe a different size. Paul your description is right on. I believe it's the No. 21 BC, 2 1/4" size. It's good to know. Thanks for the time I know it took to help.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Hi Jim,
It actually didn't take that much time.
I still have a Milward's photobucket folder, and another folder that contains everything else Heaton and Smith & Wall that I put together back when we were trying to identify the differences between the 2 makers:
I let my free photobucket account ride through the blackmail, and now I pay $5/mo for my bandwidth.

Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Madden »

Nice reels, Ron. I looked at that knob again and think it's antler, but It would take a trained eye to be sure. I found the reel on the way back from Florida in an antique shop in a little town off 75. There was also a larger model that was missing that pillar screw and tube, so I passed because I never thought I could find a replacement. That was probably a mistake. Oh, well.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Hi Jim,
Note the benchmarks inside your reel - these were used to keep the matched parts together during the diferent finishing stages.

The same type marks were used by Artisans in both Birmingham and at Smith & Wall in Redditch, which aren't that far apart.

Compounded by the fact, the two makers offered very similar reel models..

We sorted it out when Andrew Race, current Heaton owner, acquired a stack of Smith & Wall catalogs.
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Madden »

Great info! :bow: