Power Cast reel from Hawthorne CA

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Power Cast reel from Hawthorne CA

Post by john elder »

Bud Chaddock turned up this ad for a novel casting reel, made to pivot in the style of an Alvey reel and several other classic reels. Does anyone have one or even seen one?? I did a search here, with no luck. Have not tried to look for a patent.

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: Power Cast reel from Hawthorne CA

Post by RonG »

Interesting looking reel. I would like to see what the Power Cast Casting Gun looks like.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I would like to see what the Power Cast Casting Gun looks like.
Probably something like this:

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Does this look like a good bet?

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Sure looks like! Pat. #? Name?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Pat. #? Name?
Glad this reel qualifies!
The answers are #2,796,224 and Ernest S. Jefferson. Jefferson had a patent for an earlier version of the reel. He started out as an auto mechanic but was running his own radio shop by 1940. After the war, he would change direction and would run a sporting goods store. He also got into the real estate business. Earlier, he had earned a couple of patents for animal control devices, and he applied for the reel patents in 1953 and 1955. Curious folks can research who manufactured the reel and why it was sold from Hawthorne.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks for chasing that, Steve. Seems there would have been a lot of stress on the spool spindle, since the “front” end would have no support. Maybe thats why they never became a “thing”.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Might it have been made by the Hawthorne Fishing Reel company, located in Hawthorne, California?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

A very cool reel John, I hope someone has one of these reels and can posts a picture.

The secondary brake out in front of the reel almost looks like the brake on the early Mitchell-Henry prototype reels where he retrofitted his drag on Edward vom Hofe reels.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Might it have been made by the Hawthorne Fishing Reel company, located in Hawthorne, California?
If you know of such, when and where was it?
The secondary brake out in front of the reel...
I have to admit that I don't fully understand this reel. The ad drawings are different from the patent drawings. As I understand it, that long handle in the ad drawings is used to turn the spool from casting to cranking positions and vice-versa. The ad says that the secondary brake can be controlled by the thumb. I think that brake is controlled by the L-shaped lever that is connected to the crank shaft, as shown in the left ad drawing. That lever was substituted for lever 60 and thumb button 61 in the patent drawings. Comments?

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

re Hawthorne Reel Co., I’m at the mercy of AI, which seems to think Hawthorne reels were made by company of same name in Hawthorne, CA. Perhaps she has stirred in many partial factoids and invented the company:

“ The history of the Hawthorne fishing reel company is intertwined with the production of various fishing reels, including models like the Hawthorne Surf Casting Reel Model 60-6538 and the Hawthorne fly fishing reel No. 60-6430. These reels were often associated with retailers like Wards, known for providing quality fishing gear at affordable prices. The company's legacy includes crafting reels with specific features tailored to different fishing styles, showcasing a commitment to customization and performance[3][5]. While specific details about the company's origins are not extensively covered in the provided sources, its association with retailers and the production of specialized reel models suggest a history of producing versatile and tailored fishing equipment to meet anglers' diverse needs.”

If you look at the citations, she went through and selected every reel with Hawthorne in the title… and she even sited our beloved colleague, Reelsasbigasyourhead Pritchard!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ah, she comes clean:

The Hawthorne fishing reel company was not founded by a specific individual but was a trademarked brand name owned by Montgomery Ward & Co., a well-known retailer associated with the production of fishing reels. The Hawthorne reels, such as the Model 233 and Model 352 made by Bronson in the 1960s, were exclusively sold by Montgomery Ward & Co., who owned the trademarked "Hawthorne" brand name[3].

Sources
[1] About | John Hawthorne Fishing | Captain's Bio | SC Fishing Charters https://www.johnhawthornefishing.com/about
[2] Hawthorne fishing reel - Zeppy.io https://www.zeppy.io/discover/us/hawthorne-fishing-reel
[3] hawthorne fishing reel for sale - eBay https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_dcat=36 ... shing+reel
[4] The Golden Age of Spin Casting Fishing Reels - TypePad https://notesandnods.typepad.com/the_go ... t-affairs/
[5] Reel Makers - orcaonline.org https://www.orcaonline.org/reel-makers/

(editor note: Reel Makers was edited since all fishing reel research material was moved to orcaonline.org)

This certainly attests to the dangers of turning AI loose on a particular target.
Last edited by kyreels on Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reel Makers was edited since all fishing reel research material was moved to orcaonline.org
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Ah Yes! AI strikes again.

No such company as Hawthorne. No reel company in Hawthorne, CA either. Me thinks I smell a kitty. A pretty kitty. A black and white kitty!

Trust but verify!

Possible hint: casting gun!

CS
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

The best scenario, IMHO, is to bypass all the possible AI consortiums and just do a simple search. Then one can sift through the suggestions, review pertinent information and decide for one's self what seems to be legitimate fact. These current AI dudes don't have a clue how to sift through BS and discern actual fact from fiction. A lot of their conclusions are just based on plain old hearsay. :wink:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027