Wtd: Help with Hunter reel drag

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Wtd: Help with Hunter reel drag

Post by Reelman2 »

I recently acquired a Hunter reel by Chamberlin, Cartridge & Target. It has a factory drag system. The 2 pics show the parts.
I am guessing that there is a part missing or perhaps a piece broke off as it will not drag.

Collect mostly Ky style reels; Meek, Heddon, Horton, Pflueger Redifor and Worth, etc.

ORCA Member
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Re: Wtd: Help with Hunter reel drag

Post by Jim Schottenham »

I think you'll find that bar was intended to place the reel in free-spool mode.

Jim
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Jim is correct (as usual). Here's a photo of the parts in a working example of the reel. The parts of the freespool clutch are housed within the spool arbor and are shifted by the bar on the rear pillar. The brass "ring" below the pinion is actually a pulley-like piece that is pulled outward by the yoke to free the spool when the bar is depressed.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

The pivot arm fits in a groove so that when the lever on the outside is pressed, if causes the pivot arm to pull the spindle gear away from the spool, thus putting reel out of gear. pics with arrows originally came from Steve when I had to repair one of these touchy mechanisms:

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reelman2 »

Looks like mine is missing the part that fits over the spool gear. No wonder it wont't work. Thanks.
Collect mostly Ky style reels; Meek, Heddon, Horton, Pflueger Redifor and Worth, etc.

ORCA Member
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reelman2 »

My spool has the spring loaded gear but is missing the silver arm piece that causes it to lift so the u-shaped piece will fit under it. Is it possible it could be made and would it be cost worthy?

ORCA Member
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I guess i don’t understand what’s missing on yours, Bill. Your first pic shows the required arm that acts on the spring-loaded washer. The pic i posted above is of me holding the fork of a broken arm in place using tweezers. The arm was broken in half and so i had to make a new one. On yours, you just have to get the fork engaged and the trigger bent to proper angle to cause the arm to pivot out and lift the spring-loaded washer.

As to worth repair, you don’t see many of these and if the reel is in otherwise ex condition, i would think it worth saving…but, You won’t put the grandkids through college with it.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reelman2 »

John, all the parts are there. I have tried bending the arm so it will work but no luck yet. I am afraid to bend it too much as it seems pretty brittle.

ORCA Member
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Does the lever on the back pillar lift that arm with the yoke on the end? Show us a photo of your spool with the pinion gear end showing.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reelman2 »

Hooray, I finally figured it out. The spring loaded part of the spool was frozen ip and so was the brass piece that is attached to the end of the arm by the outer rim of the reel. Once I got them loosened up and oiled good it works like a charm. Thanks to everyone for all your help.

ORCA Member
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Sooopahh!!

:bow: :bow:

Glad you worked through it. That was my next suggestion! Congrats! Takes very little movement to make it happen!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member