Reels Added at TheAntiqueAngler.com and Additional Services

Post your reels, lures, and other old fishing tackle here that you want to sell or trade. Also, post all your wanted items here too.
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Reels Added at TheAntiqueAngler.com and Additional Services

Post by David Lehmann »

I added about 100 reels to the site over the past month, approximately 50 yesterday, ranging from <$20 on up to some truly exceptional items. I know that there are great deals, because eBay and Facebook resellers are my most frequent customers, and some of my reels resell for them at 10x my selling prices.

I like to see original patina on a reel, so I typically don't polish reels that I acquire, but realize that I'm in the minority. If you like your reels shiny, I will clean and shine any you purchase from me for a nominal fee - just let me know immediately after purchasing the reel. (It makes more sense to pay me $20 to shine a $20 reel than it does to pay someone else $200 for the exact same reel being resold, right?)

A word of advice, if you like shiny reels - look through the shine. Are screw heads crisp? Stampings strong? Plating all there? Are parts original? (You need to ask they seller because ORCA has not yet implemented a policy about conveying information about known replacement or reproduction parts or restoration. On my site, I clearly convey this information because it's the ethical thing to do, IMHO.)

Here are some of the reels added to the store yesterday:

kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: Reels Added at TheAntiqueAngler.com and Additional Services

Post by kyreels »

That is a nice B.F. Meek #44 and a very good price. Lots of other good stuff too.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

It's out of my price range but I'm curious about that Meek #44. Is the price affected by the fact it was marked for Schmelzer Arms Co. and doesn't carry the B.F. Meek name? And if a person wanted to collect one of every Meek #44 variation out there marked for retailers, how many different names would come up?
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

I was wondering, what is the diameter of the Meek 44 and did they come in different sizes?
Last edited by Jason on Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Richard, the Schmelzer Arms Co. marked reel isn't the Meek 44.
I don't know of any size variations of the model 44, but I've learned to never say never, so there could be a special order 44 out there somewhere.
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Jim. I was looking at the first and second photos thinking they were the front and back of the same reel. :doh: