Some info for THE Eclipse...

Someplace just to show that reel collectors do have a life
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Some info for THE Eclipse...

Post by JoeW »

Some info for THE Eclipse

Sorry for all the hype, but WNY is buzzing with excitement over this event! Expecting over 1M visitors to the area. Roads are being blocked off, hotel rooms at $450/night, Corona sold out!, be prep for delays of hours, all kinds of Eclipse souvenirs around, etc. Officials are running around like... chickens during an Eclipse!

Be cautious! Someone started a rumor that the sudden change from light-dark-back to light in minutes, may cause “older” skin to suddenly chip, peel, flake, tarnish, get age lines, corrosion, etc! May happen immediately or take several decades! Proper clothing shown in pic!

AND-
I’m making up a Playlist for the Eclipse! Here's what some popular singers said about it:

1) “I wanna see the sun… blotted out from the sky”! Mick Jagger
2) “Flew your Leerjet up to Nova Scotia, to see the total eclipse of the sun” Carly Simon
3) “Sun ain’t gonna shine anymore” Frankie Valli

got another one....

4) "Please Don't Take My Sunshine Away" Jimmie Davis (1940)

and another!...

5) "The sun'll come out, tomorrow!" Annie

Need help! Got any more? Have fun! Best—— Joe Walkowski (ORCA WNYTC)
Last edited by JoeW on Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)
klonder
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Some info for THE Eclipse...

Post by klonder »

Eclipse, slamipse!
We got earthquakes here in Jersey! :)
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I am looking forward to it here in Louisville, we hope to have a 99% eclipse viewing if the forecasted cloud cover does not ruin it. It would be kind of sad if all the southern viewing is obscured. Think the northern locations on the path are expected to be clearer.

I think it would be fun if the 13 and 17 year cicadas all hatch out during the eclipse. That would be a real show. I almost never get what I wish for. I did buy a Powerball ticket today. I have poor math skills I guess.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I almost never get what I wish for.
Matt, If Rahu is in a good spot in your horoscope, maybe you'll have good luck, at least during the eclipse. :cool

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Well, living in Colorado at the time, we got to see the last THE total eclipse. We don't have a Leerjet, so “We drove our minivan to Nebra-ask-ka, to see the total eclipse of the sun”. So I guess I'll share what I'd shared then. Next one I believe will be in 2079 -unless you have a Leerjet.

My family slept out under the stars on open rangeland offering a 360deg horizon to horizon view, and awoke to yipping coyotes, quite a few shooting stars, and a whole lotta Hereford's. It was wonderful.

Lighting under totality was... eerie. We looked at each other and asked why it was so... strange, and truly eerie. My son said it was the perfect setting for a zombie apocalypse. We often see dusk and dawn and deeply overcast days; What was so different about this lighting? 

We decided it was the light quality. It was a “gray” light and we watched as color faded, leaving everything bathed in a desaturated “smoky” gray light. And since this was a mid-day event, the shadows weren’t long like you’d see in the morning or evening, but short and faint. At totality -all 2+ minutes of it- things got dark enough to see some stars, and there was a “sunset”, a purple-red glow on the horizon. But not just on one horizon. It was 360degrees. That was… weird. And very cool. Oh yes, the air got quite a chill to it too, and we put jackets on.

I’d read an article that claimed that animals can behave strangely during an eclipse. But the stories were anecdotal, and I was skeptical of many of them. One said that cows were reported to "all lie down”. Well since we were surrounded by Herefords and Angus we thought we’d wait and see. 

We also had prairie sunflowers around us and if you’ve ever watched them they will face the sun and follow it across the sky as the day progresses. We thought we’d check on them too. Nothing scientific; And I balked at taking notes or setting up a time-lapse camera. I was just going to enjoy the short-lived event with my family, and add my own half-baked anecdotes to the body of anecdotes out there.

Problem with all this anecdotal stuff, and the reason I am often skeptical (It’s been beaten into me over the years) is that all too often the observations don’t include what “normal” is then, or what was happening before the “event”.

Here’s what the cattle did: At dawn they filed in to the waterhole, beneath a tall windmill. After tanking up they ran out to graze -literally. They exuberantly and playfully ran, bucked and bounced out into open range. They were really cute. Elk do this too, after being bedded up for a spell and with the early morning air being so cool.

Our cattle grazed until late morning, when the sun got hot (brilliant blue day), when they all laid down. Just like elk; Although elk lie down in cover, and the second the sun strikes them. At totality we glanced over and noticed that most of the cattle had stood up back up. Cue to head to sleeping quarters, feeling a little “eerie”, or… just needing to stretch? Elk do this too; About late morning to mid-day they often stand up to stretch and feed a bit before lying back down. The cattle were not grazing, just standing there in what could have been taken for “feeling a little eerie”. So… I can’t say much about cattle behavior and total mid-day eclipses.

The sunflowers? Well... we noticed they were still facing the eclipsed sun. No surprise since they are not physically all that fast to begin with. Some, we noticed, had their petals a bit folded up. Some flowers close entirely by nightfall. But, we didn’t know if this variety of sunflower did. And, we noticed, only a few were so folded. Kinda like the cattle -not all were standing. Were those flowers so folded before the eclipse happened? We hadn’t really thought to notice what to notice before hand.

All I can say is, it came and went pretty quickly, made us feel a bit “eerie", and then it was over, leaving us to feel like we didn't really have time to appreciate it. Oh yes, it caused my son to get all giddy and start running around wanting us to run too. But then again, he was doing that on and off well before the eclipsing began. In fact, he’s doing it right now! Gimme that foam sword boy and I’ll show you a thing or two!

ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

VERY interesting info there, Paul! Sounds like a great family adventure! Gave me some things to watch for! Does my neighbor's garage roof count as the "horizon"? And no cattle roaming around my back yard, but lots of squirrels! I wonder, will any squirrels fall out of the trees because they... got caught "out on a limb"?

Thanks for the post! Best---- Joe Walkowski (WNYTC ORCA)
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Being in NW PA now, my wife and I find ourselves in another line of totality -a two-fer! 2017 now 2024, sans Leerjet!

I assume most people will be looking at the sun, for the moon and corona view. Barring clouds, that'll be easy. Even with clouds it should get dark enough to know something very different is up. We'd like to see the horizon glow again, too, if possible. So we've looked around for high open areas that give us the greatest distance view, not so easy in such a treed landscape here. We'll be in a farm field, possibly with the Amish -so I suppose we'll have some horses and small children to collect anecdotal evidence on. Clouds or not, it should be a unique sight. Buffalo is likely to be even closer to the totality line than I am. Let us know how the squirrels fare. :)
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Totality 2024, NW PA. Got a break in the clouds just in time! Got to see the corona and a near 360deg "sunset" (being just S of the center line). Simply awe inspiring to see. The odd even dusky gray cast of eclipse lighting was noticeable on either side over a good half hour. All very unique lighting. We were along a rural hilltop road with a dozen or so other local vehicles. A cheer went up at totality.

Only wildlife observations were a robin lighting up at totality; As if in evening song? And a savannah sparrow chiming in for the "morning" chorus?

A safety tip for the next one in 2079. Do not use binoculars with your eclipse sunshades! Baaaad idea.
Last edited by Paul Roberts on Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

I have to say—- I was very impressed! Despite a near complete cloud cover, there were enough breaks in the clouds so that we saw all stages of the eclipse!
Glad you made your posts here! I was looking for the things you mentioned!
I did see the all-around sunset! Can’t figure that one out!
And at Total, it got DARK! Quickly, too! Just took it a few minutes to go from overcast gray, to darker than night! Then back again a couple minutes later! Scary! I was glad to see the pilot light on the sun hadn’t gone out!
Same with getting COLD! REALLY cold, suddenly!
Pre- Eclipse, lots of Robins and squirrels around, it was busy! Then as the darkness fell, everything got quiet- and I mean silent! No falling squirrels to report.
Only disappointment was the SIZE of the sun! It appeared about the size of a quarter held at arm’s length. Not the big blazing ball shown in enhanced photos! Also, for most of the time, it really just looked like a crescent moon!
But all in all- very impressed! Stiff neck this AM. No new age lines or tarnish on my hide!

The one worthwhile pic shows Totality. The darkness, and the amazing 360 sunset peaking from between the houses! All the way around the horizon! Paul's pic shows it better.

… Hey- you said NW PA? I grew up in Oil City, PA! Are you nearby? Best—— Joe Walkowski (WNYTC ORCA)
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

:)) People have probably worried about the sun's pilot light, or embers, for thousands of years. Good nowadays to know it's coming I suppose.

The 360 sunset is the outer edge of the moon's shadow, the glow where the sun is still shining.

Glad to hear your squirrels, and hide, made it through ok.

We didn't get as dark as you were able to see, maybe your being so much closer to the center line of totality? Or the deeper cloud cover? I did wonder what it would be like with heavy overcast. That would be cool to see. Thanks for the photo. We got dark enough to see a single star, or planet. And again it was over quickly. But this time we knew a bit more of what to look for. Loved it. My wife says the next one, in 2026, will pass over northern Spain. Uh oh... To acquire a Leer jet I'd have to sell most of my fishing stuff! :))
Oh yes, I'm in Waterford.
Last edited by Paul Roberts on Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I did wonder what it would be like with heavy overcast. That would be cool to see.
We were scheduled to be able to see about a 90.3% eclipse. The clouds began to roll in shortly before the eclipse view was due here, and within 20 minutes or so, they provided solid cover. The cloud cover began to break up slowly around 30 minutes after the eclipse peaked in our area, and folks could get an occasional glimpse for a few seconds at a time. The darkness we witnessed while this was going on was extremely uncool to see, and I think the birds didn't even notice. I'll have to rely on memories of solar eclipses I've seen since 1963.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

To see night-like darkness we’d have to be under totality, fully in the moon’s shadow. Even the sliver edge of the sun throws a lot of light, why the dark event comes and goes so fast. In my experience under totality with clear skies (2017) and relatively thin overcast (2024) I did not experience true darkness. It was “very dim”. This year I was bracing for the best, willing to “make lemonade” if our view was to be clouded out. I still do wonder how awesomely dark totality could be under deep overcast. Joe’s description sounds like it! Hey, maybe it’ll be cloudy and rainy in N Spain next year! Maybe worth the trip? :))
Last edited by Paul Roberts on Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I don't really get all the hype, seen one, you've pretty much seen them all. :wink: I just looked out the window and wondered, hopefully, if it was clouding up to finally rain a little, it's way to dry around here. :(
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Paul Roberts wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:29 am To see night-like darkness we’d have to be under totality, fully in the moon’s shadow. Even the sliver edge of the sun throws a lot of light. In my experience under totality with clear skies (2017) and relatively thin overcast (2024) I did not experience true darkness. It was “very dim”. This year I was bracing for the best, willing to “make lemonade” if our view was to be clouded out. I still do wonder how awesomely dark totality could be under deep overcast. Joe’s description sounds like it! Hey, maybe it’ll be cloudy and rainy in N Spain next year! Maybe worth the trip? :))
Yea- we were full totality here. Kind of gray all day with breaks in the clouds. But yea... it went darker than night! "Darker than a black cat in a coal bin at midnight!" The over cast blocked off any star light. And I just had a thought- no one had any lights on! No porch or window lights! I don't even think the streetlights were on! Like throwing a blanket over your head! And how quickly it happened was also amazing! Those two things made it worthwhile to me!
Northern Spain? Chances for cloud/overcast are good, I'd say. Make sure to be on some level, flat ground...Because... "The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain".
Yea- I enjoyed it immensely, especially being with family while it happened. Best---- Joe Walkowski (WNYTC ORCA)
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Very cool. Thanks for the interesting and fun thread, Joe. And yeah, I've heard that about Spain. :))

Tom, it didn't rain quite enough in CO much of the time. And a bit too much here in PA.