Old Edward vom Hofe Peerless

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Johan A
Frequent Board Poster

Old Edward vom Hofe Peerless

Post by Johan A »

Hi I have a early EvH trout reel here with some intresting features.

Here is what I find

No pat nr

"Edward vom hofe Maker" stamp on oil cap
was used until 1882

Stamped "pat appd for" in the ebonite above click button . I think it was pat pended for the click that was patented 1883

The click button is on opposite of the foot

The reel is close to 3" so it's a size 1 .
Size 1 wasn't available until 1907

The foot has the two extra holes that I never seen on a trout reel

The faceplate have ebonite all the way out under the ns protection band . I only seen this feature on very early salmon reels

What's your thoughts?? Please correct me

Johan
Ray Hencken
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Old Edward vom Hofe Peerless

Post by Ray Hencken »

Here is a 3 in. diameter #1 Peerless with serial #Z 642 (1933). Note the position and shape of the click button as compared to your reel. The position of the click button is opposite what is usually seen and the button itself is simpler in shape. Also, I have not seen other examples of a Peerless with 3 holes in the foot. I would say that your reel is one of the earliest examples of an Edward vom Hofe Peerless with no size, model number, or serial number stamped on the foot.

Here are pictures of a Peerless #4 which has the hard rubber on the face plate extending under the nickle silver rims. There is a size number on the foot but no model number or serial number. The bearing cover dates the reel to 1883-1889.

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Based on Ted Bingham’s book, your bearing cover dates to 1867-1874! Certainly a very early reel and a great find! Go back to where you found that one and look some more!!!

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Johan A
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Johan A »

Thank you very much for your replies guys .

Your size 4 Peerless is a gem Ray :bow: