Question for the Pflueger Summit experts

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Frankpierson67
Big ORCA Fan

Question for the Pflueger Summit experts

Post by Frankpierson67 »

What is the likelihood of this coming from the factory as is? It has the "wave" pattern head plate and the "serrated" pattern tail plate. I just found this one, which caught my eye for the reason I ask the question. It came with box and some paperwork, which doesn't all seem to be from the same era. All the screws appear to be original and relatively undamaged, so I would be inclined to believe it wasn't swapped out by the fisherman who used it.

Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Re: Question for the Pflueger Summit experts

Post by Paul Roberts »

Interesting. Dunno. Except that, as you prob know, different age parts could have been being used up when assembling reels at the factory.

-White knobs ('48-'52)
-Dark "jewels" (later than red)
-Short wave pattern earlier than long wave pattern. Don't know date change there; Sometime in the 50's Im guessing.

My guess would be that the tail plate was replaced, owing to the faceplate and handle matching. The tail plate would be more likely, and easier, to replace. Most probably a worn out clicker fix. Or dropped and the rim dented? The fix could have been done at the factory too. I've had reel boxes with a "Repair" notification affixed; Don't remember how. Also, there should be a date code on the box bottom. Perhaps there are two?
Last edited by Paul Roberts on Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

I agree with Paul. The Pfluegers wasted nothing. If a repair was required they would substitute parts that were not the perfect match for a particular model-but never a compromise that would impair best operating quality. This was a cosmetic thing. Frankly, i like the combination! I recommend fishing it. Should bring good luck!

Bad Bob
Frankpierson67
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Frankpierson67 »

Thank you gentlemen. You confirmed my suspicions.