Johnson Reel Enthusiast

Post information about yourself and your collecting interests.
GaryWB
Big ORCA Fan

Johnson Reel Enthusiast

Post by GaryWB »

I've been a member for several years. Just found this page while I was poking around.

I used to look for Johnson reels on Ebay that were missing parts or didn't function. I would buy them and attempt to put them back in service. I have resold some on Ebay with little success. So, I have quite a sizable stash of reels now. At least it makes me different than the Jones's and other neighbors.

I search for and buy Johnson NOS parts too. If anyone needs something, let me know and I will check "The Pile."

Gary
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: Johnson Reel Enthusiast

Post by kyreels »

Gary,

Great to have you join the message board. I believe the first reel I ever used was a Johnson. I eventually restored it and gave it to my brother where it disappeared into his pile. I look forward to your posts. Thanks for taking the time to share your passion.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Welcome, Gary! I recently picked up a Century for my 4 YO grandson to use. That was the first spincast reel i ever used and it saved my father from Backlash Hell. I thought i would

pass on the favor to my son-in-law! Great little reels!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
GaryWB
Big ORCA Fan

Post by GaryWB »

That Century appears to be in great shape John. One of the later Century models from the push button and handle style.

I have several Century's that are for my two granddaughters. I don't know how interested they will be. But I'm hopeful
GaryWB
Big ORCA Fan

Post by GaryWB »

Thank you for the welcome and your comments, by the way.

I don't consider myself a Johnson expert. Probably never will. I have friends that know far more than I ever will.
I have serviced or repaired somewhere around 300 Johnson reels.

I look at it like preserving part of our history.
Gary
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

Gary,
If you have serviced 300 Johnson reels, you're more of an expert than you give yourself credit for! Experience is knowledge.
Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Packing these reels into my nest hole: Talbot, Milam, Meek, Horton, Heddon, Wm Shakespeare Jr, and small diameter skeleton fly reels!
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Welcome Gary.

I have a Johnson question: I had always heard that the Johnson spincasters were some of the finest. I saw one in a thrift store recently, it felt really solid and had a crisp line pick-up. I've not been a spincaster for some years but have always been curious about the Johnson models. There was the Century and Citation. And there were different sizes? 100, 200...? Can you tell me the differences between those two models?
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
GaryWB
Big ORCA Fan

Post by GaryWB »

The Johnson Century
The Century's debut was as the model 100 in 1955. It was only produced for two years and then Johnson began the journey of improving the reel. The follow on models are:

Century 100-A (1956 only)
Century 100A (1957-1962)
Century 100B (1963-1979)

Century 40th Anniversary (mid-90's)
Century 100B Deluxe (mid 90's)

Even with the model 100B there were some tweaks over the years but they kept the same model number.
The 100, 100-A and 100A all used beveled gears. Which I'm not a big fan of. And drag didn't work all that well. I like a smooth drag that can be adjusted for a light pull/slippage.
On the Century 100B they finally got things right. It performs great, has very quiet straight gears and the drag works very well also.

In the mid 1990's Johnson came out with the 40th Anniversary reel. All metal reel and a very good performing reel. On par with the Century 100B
They also came out with the Century 100B Deluxe. Which is an all aluminum reel. Looks pretty but more fragile than the metal reels. Those I would put on a shelf to admire and impress.

I think in the early years companies started bringing reels to market. But since there was a certain amount of competition between brands I think most of them sought to improve their reels and make them perform better.
I know people who fish with the earlier models and love them. Maybe I'm just picky, not sure. But if I was going to take a reel fishing it would be the Century 100B.

In the 1980's, Johnson began producing graphite reels. They will fish okay, but they don't compare to the earlier, all metal reels.

Graphite Century's were
Century 115
Century 225

The Johnson Citation
The back end, gear section of the Citation and Century are identical. They use a lot of the same parts, gears, etc. The main difference is the Citation it has a bigger spool and will hold more line.

The manufacturing dates on the Citation
Citation 110 (1956 and 1957)
Citation 110-A (dates are vague)
Citation 110A (1958-1962)
Citation 110B (1963-1979)

The three earlier models used the beveled gears and they were often noisier. Even if both gears were replaced with new gears. Same issues as the Century earlier models.

If I were going to fish with a Citation it would be the Citation 110B. Very solid, smooth reel. The drag works great.

Those are the basics. I hope that helps
If anyone has other questions, I'd be happy to share what I know.

Gary
GaryWB
Big ORCA Fan

Post by GaryWB »

I will add.

I think one of the benefits of the Johnson reels is they are designed to be simple but are very smooth operating reels.

If you perform basic maintenance, they will last for many years.

Gary
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

Gary,
Very nice, clear, and concise write-up.
Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Packing these reels into my nest hole: Talbot, Milam, Meek, Horton, Heddon, Wm Shakespeare Jr, and small diameter skeleton fly reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yes, pretty darned good for one who’s “not an expert” :D

I was using the Century reel in the late 1950’s, so suspect it was a 100A or 100-A . I recall it was better made than the later model i picked up for the grandson, but after i cleaned out the dried grease in the latter, everything worked fine. I stepped up to the Citation after that before moving to a Bronson 63 rod/reel combo in the early ‘60’s. Still have that one, but the early Johnsons are gone. Great memories with all of them!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Wow. Excellent write up. Now I have a bit more than a clue about those Johnson reels. Thanks so much! Will be fun to see them again when I'm out perusing the thrift stores.

One more question: Century vs Citation retrieve speed? Citation with larger spool is quicker?
GaryWB
Big ORCA Fan

Post by GaryWB »

The pinion gear and crankshaft gear for the Century and Citation are the same and came in two different configurations. A 12 tooth pinion / 35 tooth crankshaft gear or a 16 tooth / 45 tooth crankshaft gear.

Gear ratio's
12/35 = 2.92
16/45 = 2.81
Essentially the same
Since the Citation has a larger spool diameter it's effective ratio would be a higher on that reel.

I would have to do some serious math, that I haven't done since getting out of high school, to figure the different ratio's out down to brass tacks.

It's also generally suggested that fishing line be left approximately 1/8" from the edge of the spool.
Gary
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Thanks, Gary.