south bend no. 666 best-o-luck fly fishing outfit

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
washburp@ohio.edu
Big ORCA Fan

south bend no. 666 best-o-luck fly fishing outfit

Post by washburp@ohio.edu »

I recently found a South Bend no. 666 best-o-luck fly fishing outfit in an antique store. The yellow metal box with a handle and latches contains a three-piece, nine-foot cane South Bend rod with an extra tip. On the inside of the metal lid it describes what the outfit is and has two fishing pictures. Also in the metal box is a Martin fly reel. While the reel works well but is only in good condition, the rod is in very good condition with all of the guides and has very little set. The metal box has some paint chips missing, and I would say it is in very good condition. I am wondering if someone can tell me the value of this outfit. The seller wanted $135, but I offered $100, which she accepted. I assume the outfit originally came with a South Bend fly reel and someone exchanged it for the Martin reel.
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: south bend no. 666 best-o-luck fly fishing outfit

Post by kyreels »

You are correct in that the fly reel was a South Bend model. The 1941 kit came with a skeleton reel. The 1942 version came with a plastic Bakelite reel. I could not find any cataloged after that. I think you are in the range on the typical value, but you would have to post photos for anyone to reliably provide any other opinion.

Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
washburp@ohio.edu
Big ORCA Fan

Post by washburp@ohio.edu »

Thanks for the information on the South Bend outfit. It is much appreciated.

Pat Washburn
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

You should be able to find the reel and rod without too much difficulty. Finding a crisp line may be the toughest part of filling your kit.

Here are a couple of South Bend casting kits I assembled. It took a while to find the correct components for each kit.

kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Nice. I have never seen those looking so minty.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle