A few times over 40 years...something rare turns up

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
limnos
Frequent Board Poster

A few times over 40 years...something rare turns up

Post by limnos »

Those of us that have been doing this around 40 years know that truly rare items just don't turn up that often, even back "in the old days" when field finds were more plentiful, true gems just didn't grow on trees outside of collections. Got this T.H. Chubb diminutive aluminum fly reel with a group of other early reels recently. Only 1 7/8" diameter (excluding the raised pillars). Domed rear housing is really unique, I suspect to make room to house the permanent click on such tiny reel. The pics make the foot look offset, but it's an artifact of the angle, it's the same length on both sides of the foot pillars and unaltered in any way and full length. I don't recall seeing one like this before. Uncleaned, as-found condition. Original early line still on it. I brokered the Mary Kelly collection "back in the day" and there were a number of truly RARE reels in there (EVH Griswold, Talbot Levison Special, Heddon #30 in mint condition, JF&BF in brass with 4 numbered screws and no size marking, etc.), but not one of these. Fun to know there are still some neat rare reels still floating around out there.

reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Re: A few times over 40 years...something rare turns up

Post by reelsmith. »

Simply fabulous.

I think that's the nicest Chubb fly reel I've ever seen ...and in aluminum to boot! Sweet !

Congratulations.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

Just outstanding Tom, congratulations!
Wanted: Horton, Bristol & Meek reels, reel boxes, and catalogs!!!!
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Scarce indeed. That's a wonderful reel and a piece of history. I've never had the opportunity to acquire one.
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Beautiful reel! Secretly been a serious fly reel collector the last 9/10 years...found some great pieces but that would be in the top 3! NICE Reel!
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
Ray Hencken
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Ray Hencken »

A great find in fantastic condition! Nicest Chubb I have ever seen. All Chubb marked reels are rare but this one is tops!
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Congrats on the rare find.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

What a wonderful find! Congrats! In my 40 years, I've never seen one before, either. The date refers only to a design patent, but the click-fitting advantage of the plate's curvature isn't mentioned until Chubb's July 31 patent of the same year, whose main purpose was to describe a hinged foot.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

A remarkable find. Would love to know more about the sale.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

Hopefully the stars will align for even a 30 year collector to find something as cool as this Chubb fly reel! Thanks for sharing!
Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Packing these reels into my nest hole: Talbot, Milam, Meek, Horton, Heddon, Wm Shakespeare Jr, and small diameter skeleton fly reels!