H.L. Litchfield's Personal Reel ?

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Ray Hencken
Advanced Board Poster

H.L. Litchfield's Personal Reel ?

Post by Ray Hencken »

Attached are pictures of a Julius vom Hofe #3 fly reel with the retailers stamp on the faceplate -H.C. Litchfield Boston. On the backplate the initials H.C.L. are engraved and the initials HCL are on the foot. I believe that it is reasonable to think that this was Litchfield's personal reel. It seems like too much of a coincidence for it not to be his reel. Any input from our members would be appreciated.

Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: H.L. Litchfield's Personal Reel ?

Post by Steve »

Litchfield's name was Henry. It's a reasonable bet that the reel was his, but there were many other HCLs in Boston, including such upstanding citizens as Harvey C. Litchfield, of Gates, Litchfield, & Co., electroplaters. Skim through the L's in any Boston directory of an appropriate year, and you'll probably find a dozen or so HCL's.

I've had the same problem with a Style C Shakespeare with two sets of initials engraved, both ending in S. I've been trying for years to prove these folks were Shakespeare relatives. :bash:

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Re: H.L. Litchfield's Personal Reel ?

Post by reelsmith. »

Hey Ray.

It's certainly a plausible theory and I think odds are it was his.

Now you just need find a picture of him holding it ...and with the back-plate exposed so you can see the initials

How hard could that be ? :lol:

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/