Announcing my new book Tournament Casting Tackle

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Announcing my new book Tournament Casting Tackle

Post by kyreels »

I am pleased to announce the publication of my new book, Tournament Casting Tackle, A History and Collector’s Guide to Tournament Casting Reels, Rods, Weights, Flies, Lines, Oils, Medals and Ephemera
This new book is the culmination of 4 years of work and 35 years of tournament tackle research and collection.

This book is about the casting tackle used in the American and International sport of tournament casting. Since 1860, anglers have organized tournaments to contest their proficiency in casting flies and plugs in various classes of angling. They demonstrated their skill in accuracy, distance, and with each variation of reel and rod. Tournament casters used reels, rods, casting weights, flies, line, reel oil and other equipment specific to the type of angling or casting they chose. Their efforts were documented with medals, patches, trophies, buttons, and other ephemera. This book is for collectors of tournament casting artifacts and those interested in the history of those artifacts.

The book contains 262 pages and over 900 photos and descriptions of tournament casting tackle artifacts. It surveys all manufacturers and makers and tells the story through the archeology of the sport.

We look exhaustively at the tools used by tournament casters. Each of those tools have a history and reflect constant experimentation and improvement. It is one thing to tell of the history, it is further enhanced by the viewing of the artifacts. We show the complete evolution of each tournament casting tool used, starting with the earliest examples and continuing to the present day. Collectors of antique and vintage fishing tackle will greatly benefit from this book, because there are rare examples here never published.

You can order the book right now on Amazon for $60 in hardback. Just search for the title or use this link. https://www.amazon.com/Tournament-Casti ... 0DF6XWKWN/

Thanks for everyone's support on this. Many ORCA members contributed to this book, and it would not be possible without them. I would especially like to thank Colby Sorrells, my main collaborator. All contributors are listed in the acknowledgments.

Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
RonG
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Announcing my new book Tournament Casting Tackle

Post by RonG »

Hey Matt,

Will you be bringing copies to ORCA Convention in Frankfort?
leland99
Advanced Board Poster

Post by leland99 »

Congrats Matt on getting your book over the finish line. The ordering process was smooth and easy!
Bryce Tawney
The Reel Packrat

Packing these reels into my nest hole: Talbot, Milam, Meek, Horton, Heddon, Wm Shakespeare Jr, and small diameter skeleton fly reels!
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

I have ordered copies of the book to bring to the ORCA National, but the delivery date for the number of copies is Sept 11 to Sept 16. I am very hopeful that they will arrive on Sept 11 and I will pop over and pick them up for the show. Fingers are crossed. I think the Labor Day holiday kind of affected the delivery time. If anyone gets a copy they can bring to the show, it may be helpful, since I actually don't have the latest, just a draft proof copy. Seems like the author copies have a longer ship time than a single book order.
Matt Wickham
RonG
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RonG »

I just ordered mine online. It was $57.85 plus tax. I'm a Prime member so shipping is free.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

I ordered my copy on Saturday and Amazon delivered it today. I could not put the book down. Matt has organized and presented the history of tournament casting in a logical, chronological and complete manner, with historical photos and photos of the best of individual collections. From tournament medals and club patches, to the beautiful casting weights and reels and rods used, to the casting lines (my passion), Matt has created the one-stop authoritative text on this great American pasttime. Matt even supplements the record books which Cliff Netherton memorialized.

Great job, Matt. You made all of us in ORCA very proud that you currently lead our organization.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Thanks for the kind words Mike. I appreciate all the support. I do have an update that my books will arrive this week in time for the Frankfort show next week. Anyone wishing to get a copy there should be accommodated. Although I have to say, everyone that has ordered from Amazon directly is very happy with the 2-day delivery on Amazon Prime's shipping dime. The book is printed in Illinois and shipped to US buyers. But interestingly, I have an order from Germany and Belgium shown in the reports that have for authors. I heard from the Belgium buyer that he received his copy in 4 days after order. How on earth does Amazon do that? I assume they have similar print machines in Europe and Asia. Future authors have to consider KDP, the Amazon publishing service. You get worldwide distribution and automatic currency conversion.
Matt Wickham
Paul Roberts
Super Board Poster

Post by Paul Roberts »

Congratulations Matt! That's quite an accomplishment.
ORCA 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by bettybarr »

Mike Nogay called it perfectly. We got our book yesterday. It belongs in the hands of every reel, lure and rod collector and tournament caster. The chapters are laid out with a perfect order alongside photos that tell the history as a stand alone. It required a staggering amount of research. But all of this is not surprising if you know Matt. We can celebrate in Frankfort! And get our copies signed by the man himself. Congratulations Matt!
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

In another interesting turn of events, Amazon just put the book on sale for $39.83. I heard from other authors that they do that occasionally. The authors get the same amount, but pricing is determined by Amazon/KDP. In case anyone wanted a bargain, looks like today is the day.
Matt Wickham
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

It helps sales of the book to post a review on Amazon. Here is my review (it took a few days for Amazon to upload it) and basically it’s identical to my comments above. I encourage any ORCA member who buys a copy to post a review.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
RonG
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Thanks for the reminder Mike. I also left a review. The thing I really like about the book is plenty of the color photos.
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

It's still on sale today for $40.19 but maybe that's based on my location of some other algorithm. Thanks for the heads up.