garcia (abu, everol) admiral 4/0

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: garcia (abu, everol) admiral 4/0

Post by Paul M »

There is a suitable language translator function built into the Google Chrome browser for use on a Windows or Mac desktop, for example. It is a free download. Works well for text based content.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

54bullseye wrote:Tom how do you use a translator ? I have never done it . John Taylor
I'm always on a PC. With either Explorer or Chrome all you have to do is right click your mouse on the screen and the translate option will appear on the list. "Translate this page" is an automatic option, when needed, at the top right corner when using Chrome. I don't know about iPads, phones, Firefox, etc.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Here is a TEMPORARY link to images I obtained while researching Everol. Most of these belong to Renzo Di Paolo so please do not share or re-publish without his consent.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Boy I would love to own that early 1958 12/0 two speed !! Great pictures I have seen some of them before but certainly not all of them ! Thanks for sharing. Here are a couple more cool and pretty early 1960s Everol's a 2.5/0 and 9/0 in Nep-Tuna cradles and I have original Nep-Tuna rods for both. Here are some pics. Paolo said he remembers when I think he said his father was dealing with Nep-Tuna. Any of you have any early reels ?? Pics are good !! John Taylor

Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Wow, this thread really picked up some steam.

Great collection of red reels there, John T. Gorgeous.

I too have one of the earliest Everols, this one dressed in black. (curiously, actually the same sideplate as on larger reels... it is a two-piece subassembly)

I also have some of the reels in Pauls picture files, the 20TS is one. This was just a prototype / developmental model thing though.

Paul, nice catch on the patent number thing. I haven't noticed that before, even though i should know that number by heart. Honestly though, i am not surprised. I have one of those scales around here somewhere too; i will take a look at it later.

Those cutaway models are pretty cool. There is at least one of them out in the wild, a 6/0 if i recall correctly. It was stolen from a trade show in Los Angeles around 2003.

Robert Janssen
Sweden
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Paul M wrote:Here is a little Everol reel trivia that I discovered when I was researching the article "EVEROL: Last bastion of Italian fishing reel production", The Reel News, Nov 2017, Volume XXVII, No. 6. Look at the U.S. patent number printed on the real faceplate:

The correct US Patent number is 3,166,269, not 3,166,299 as marked on the faceplates of Everol reels (maybe all of them??). I assume second from last digit was on a die inadvertently mounted upside down and never caught.

I have many, many great pics of reels in production inside the Everol reel factory courtesy of Renzo Di Paolo of ANTIPES.
Paul you said pictures were courtesy of "Renzo Di Paolo" what is his first name I thought it was Paolo ? How does that work in Italian. When I have emailed him he ended his emails with just Paolo so I thought that was his first name. John Taylor
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

John:
Emails to me from him are signed Renzo. I always presumed "Di Paolo" implies 'of the Paolo family'. His email does not match his name in any way so no clues there.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

I bet Dr. Rob would know ??? John Taylor
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

I don't know him. I would think Renzo = first name, di Paolo = last name.
Lest there be no confusion with Paolo who works at Everol.
Robert Janssen
Sweden
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Okay now I am confused !! Lol !! The guy I had contact with was from Everol the email was an Everol address and he ended his emails with Paolo he seems to be very knowledgeable on anything made by Everol even the old stuff. Anyway guess it don't matter. John Taylor
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Ah yes... i thought it might be so.
Paolo owns Everol. Been there almost his whole life.
Other guy is in the italian version of ORCA. He wrote an article about Everol. Nice piece, but probably nothing you haven't heard before.
Robert Janssen
Sweden
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Dr. Rob wrote:Ah yes... i thought it might be so.
Paolo owns Everol. Been there almost his whole life.
Other guy is in the italian version of ORCA. He wrote an article about Everol. Nice piece, but probably nothing you haven't heard before.
That is what I thought but the other name confused me. Thanks for settin me straight. John Taylor
ABUBO
Advanced Board Poster

Post by ABUBO »

Hi John,
Thx a lot for the pic's you added in 2018 .... impressive :)
Any luck getting the red 6/0 yet?
BR, Bo
Collecting pre 1979 (b4 the Garcia era) Swedish ABU & RECORD Spinning & Fly reels, ZEBCO Cardinals, RED Ambassadeurs, PR related items, posters, photos, jewelry, lures, assessories and what have you! Well, do you? :-)
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Nope haven't found a 6/0 red one yet !! Did you find me one ??? Lol ! John Taylor
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

Post by ANTIPES Italy reel »

I find it very interesting what has been published ...
Thanks for the many photos posted.
regards
Sergio Di Marco
ABUBO
Advanced Board Poster

Post by ABUBO »

54bullseye wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:42 pm Nope haven't found a 6/0 red one yet !! Did you find me one ??? Lol ! John Taylor
.. found one for you? :lol: :lol: :lol: ... I don't think so, John! - *LOOL* :D - Haven't found one for myself yet, and I stand first in line from where I stand *tsssss* ;) :D
Going for a ABU Admiral if any at all. Despite what Dr. Rob says at realsreels abt. them being alike, I wouldn't wanna own a Garcia one because ... well, that's just how it is. I collect ABU :bow: - not Garcia :bash:
/Bo
Collecting pre 1979 (b4 the Garcia era) Swedish ABU & RECORD Spinning & Fly reels, ZEBCO Cardinals, RED Ambassadeurs, PR related items, posters, photos, jewelry, lures, assessories and what have you! Well, do you? :-)