Shakespeare Marhoff

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
LEF
Frequent Board Poster

Shakespeare Marhoff

Post by LEF »

How does one identify an early Shakespeare Marhoff? I think I have an unmaked one "for the trade?". It has jeweled caps at both ends and a grooved sculptured pillar at the top that the line guide fits into. Thanks Lee
Len Sawisch
Site Admin

Post by Len Sawisch »

Lee,

I'm not sure what you mean by "unmarked" - no markings what-so-ever? No model number or letter? No company name? No yard indicator?.

The first Marhoffs (Marhoff Reel Company) that I have seen have sculpted foot pillars but an unadorned levelwind brace (with the groove in it). The line guide itself should be a smooth arc following the line of the headplate and not the more common arched in and then straight up and down where the line rides. They also have a serial number and are marked 80 yrds. I have not seen one with jewels but you could get jeweled caps on any reel coming out of the Shakespeare factory (which is where the Marhoff Reel Company made its reels).

If you could post or email a picture I could tell you for sure. Because at least one little feature changed with each model change, we should be able to pin yours down within a year or two.

And then we could talk about sale or trade!

Len